Torpedo SWR

I bought the Cuda, as I was going to try and run it in place of a diver, but I just never got off the diver bite with spinnies and flys.

I was just trying to find a new use for it.

I have run a normal SWR with a 3 color on the rigger.

I was thinking a meat rig on the Torpedo rig sounded interesting.

Rigger set at 60 down with the torpedo down to lets say 100.

For getting Leadcore deeper...yes. But I am unclipping the drop-weight when I still have tons of line in the water infront of the fish. But I wouldnt run the set-up above. Not a fan of having a weight clipped to the mono just in front of the spoon, unless its 100'+ in front of it. I dont like weights flying around while I am trying to net fish.

I do use a similar set-up for fishing DEEP. Its usually a 6-8 color leadcore with a 10-12oz. weight in front of the leadcore, which gets the bait a good 60' below the cannonball. I clip it deep in the release on a max setting, and send it down. Usually I am only running 1 rigger when fishing that deep, but we were catching fish 300' down last year all day long on this rig, fishing the shipping channels off Manistique. :thumb:

Dave, I tried it (off the rigger) last year a few times during mid day. I never got a hit on it. I did use the Musky divers in Detour out of the Sea Nymph, and got a few fish on them. My hook up ratio was low when using them.

used to use a similar setup for fishing lake trout. did not do it for stealth, did it for bottom bouncing. instead of the torpedo we used lead weight. you could bounce the bottom for trout on a rigger without bouncing your downrigger weight. worked really well.

Iv did the same thing kinda but with a slide diver. I run the rigger short with 30 foot or less leader then let the slide diver out how ever far you want and then clip it to a big snap with a rubber band out above the downrigger release. its a way to get the divers down with out going 450 feet back. It works good i have got some really deep fish off this rig like DR down 150 and diver back 150.

I have used them on a rigger 200 down. I did have 100 foot of line out before clipping becuase I did not want a fish near my boat while I was unclipping. I fished it 50 plus below the ball. I had good sucess mid day in the deep water with it. I also clipped it on wire and sent out the chute. Real good success with this also but unclipping the weight is a pain. Usually used it down the chute when it was just me and my daughter. Covered the same depth as core or copper and she didnt have to reel so much. She is 11 and the 450 copper needs my assist when she is reeling. The fight on the wire with just the torpedo is fun. I never tried running more than 1 in my spread at a time.

JUST-N-TIME Charters

Captain

I bought Torpedo Divers for this year and here is where I see their application other than stealth rigging.......

I run a 17ft boat that can get tossed around pretty good in any kind of chop. Last year we were taking fish on our standard dipsys and deeper divers, some small fish, some large, but in rough water our dipsys would trip just after setting them in position. We figured the releases were too loose for the choppy water so we tightened them up to just were they would not make a false release, which was still pretty tight. What happened next was we would hit a small fish that would not trip the release and have to fight the small fish and the dipsy all the way to the boat in choppy conditions. Basically.....it stunk!

My thought is that by deploying a Torpedo Diver in choppy conditions i could still get the depth needed but not have to worry about false releases or shaker fish. This is where I think the application will work for my boat.

Torpedo goes on the backing of your leadcore.

All the different sizes will work to gain added depth but the angle of decent will change. Check with Matt at Torpedo Divers and he will get back to you quickly with his suggestion for diver for your situation. I'm thinking he'll probably suggest the Cuda, which is the second biggest torpedo.

If I wanted to get a 10 color core down around 100ft or a little deeper, what size would work. Also where should I clip this, before or after the lead?

New guy here but I do use these. You need to deploy the leadcore first and then you clip on the diver. Then you continue to let out the line according to the chart to get the depth you require.

New guy here but I do use these. You need to deploy the leadcore first and then you clip on the diver. Then you continue to let out the line according to the chart to get the depth you require.

Welcome to GLF Orval! Clipping to torpedo on after the core is all out would probably be the best way to go, and you would not have to worry about damaging your core with the clip. Just make sure you have enough backing to work with.

I did something similar to this last year early season and caught fish on it. I got riggers for the first time and short on time didnt put new cables on. One side only had 100 feet of cable and we were getting fish at 130 ish down in 170 fow. I was gettin hits at 125 on one side and nothing on the other so I let my spoon out 50 feet, then clippped on a 4 oz snapweight, another 50 feet of line, put it in the release and sent down the cannonball. Strarted picking up fish on that rig as well.

Pretty easy fix, snapweights are so useful and simple to use. If the highlines are dead I will toss a 6 or 8 oz weight on the shortcores and now your fishing 50 feet down instead of 15.