need new batteries

I need to buy new batteries this year. I run a 55lb thrust trolling motor on a 16ft deep v walk thru. The trolling motor handles the boat ok but I run it hard when the wind blows up. I want to put an onboard charging system on my boat. I have looked at the Cabelas AGM system but there seems to be alot of bad reviews. I just came back from the boat show and there was a dealer from VMAX??? I also have looked at the Optimas. $$$ Anybody got a good system. I'm looking for good batteries with the right charging system.

Buy quality wet cell batteries if you are going to work them hard I would suggest 2 of the big 6v batteries in series. Sorry there is no magic substitute for heavy duty batteries the charging and discharging creates heat AGM's and Gell Cell batteries don't deal with the heat as well and as such have special charging requirements. In the big lead acid batteries you have to maintain the water level but they can take more abuse then you would imagine if well maintained. I don't know how much room you have for batteries but if you want capacity check out the Interstate Workhorse UL 16 HC 6v batteries any decent multi stage charger will charge them fine.

I fish the Detroit river a ton. this can be brutal on batteries.I use wet cell lead acid batteries. Deka or East penn whatever my battery guru has for me when I need them. I do have an optima for my starting battery. The only reason is thats what he gave me to use. I am the fishing Guru and He is the battery Guru so........I use the batteries that he tells me too and he goes fishing where i tell him too (actually I just take him)

When I got my Minnkota 3 bank charger, the guys from Johnson Outdoors told me to get the big Everstart batteries from Wall Mart. I am not a fan of Wall Mart any way, shape, or form! I was told the Ever Start batteries where made by Jonson Controls in Holland Mi., so I got two. I could not be happier with the Charger, or Batteries.

I fish Muskegon Lake in the fall. We use the trolling motor all night long with out fail. The charger is going on year 5 now, and is flawless.

When I got my Minnkota 3 bank charger, the guys from Johnson Outdoors told me to get the big Everstart batteries from Wall Mart. I am not a fan of Wall Mart any way, shape, or form! I was told the Ever Start batteries where made by Jonson Controls in Holland Mi., so I got two. I could not be happier with the Charger, or Batteries.

I fish Muskegon Lake in the fall. We use the trolling motor all night long with out fail. The charger is going on year 5 now, and is flawless.

My buddy and I were just taking about how good these batteries are today. They are the ones I buy when others take a dump!

• 2 weeks later...
You can count the number of Battery manufactures on one hand and probably close to 75% are made by the big 2 Excide and Johnson controls.

I work at Johnson Controls, and I purchased two blue tops for my boat with my discount. We can buy two per year. Saweeet batteries! Highly recommend them. The can be mounted in an position since they're gel batterys. They won't spill. :thumb: