Headed to the U.P.

Ashman

I planned a trip up to Big Bay de Noc and possibly over to Little Bay for this weekend to go ice fishing about 2 months ago.....having no idea how warm it would be now.

I hear theres lots of ice still in the bays.....but I wonder how much slush there will be on top.

Hope to give a report with some pictures of fish on my return.

Otherwise, I'm sure we'll manage to do some 12 oz. light curls.

I heard there was still plenty of good ice on LBDN, but the fishing has been slooooow! Good luck and have fun! The temps are already fally this morn and its suppoesed to be back to "normal" by tonight, with snow showers tommorow.

The UP200 Dog Sled Race is also going on this weekend, starting Friday in Marquette and going just over 200 miles before finishing back in Marquette on Sunday Morn. :thumb: Its a qualifier for the Ididarod race so all the "big dogs" are here for it.

Good luck up there. Be careful off the point on the west side around Gladstone, as i guess the ice can get pretty ugly in that area. I havent been up there, but when i was a few years back the locals advised me to be mindful of that stretch. Makes sense, kind of a narrows there and likely creates some current. Stop in and talk to Chris at the bait shop, he'll help you out allot.

Also, at least it will be warmer. It was -32* actual when i was up there a few years back....Fishing was not so good, hotel door froze shut. Had to turn the door knob and have my buddy kick it open so we could get out.:lol: We had a good time though despite the poor fishing and the brutal cold. People are so nice up there in da UP eh.:thumb: