UV Lights for glow lures

I use a UV light for mine and I'm really happy with it. It is the same type as Capt. Chip Klein talks about in the video on the site. I think that my lures glow quicker and longer compared to the flash light or my flood lights that I used to use. Runs on AA batteries. So far so good, no issues.

I love mine, cost me like 10 bucks on feebay and lasted 2 seasons and counting. Charges as much or as little as you want (I don't really like a nuclear charge) and doesn't need a 12v outlet or anywhere near the clumsy space that a glow box needs......I don't miss our glow box.

Charging for 20 minutes with uv doesn't seem to make the glow last any longer than a shot for about 5 seconds.

I usually use a spotlight in the morning for the initial charge but I always have a small UV light in my pocket to recharge the glow when they come back up. It seems like the UV works better on some things than other things. For my moonshine spoons it seems like my spotlight or my floods on the back of the boat work better. Maybe I just need a better UV light though.

Frank and Champ got this one spot on, all I do is wave them across the spreaders for a second or two if they are green or blue, I will however count to 5 on my purple stuff. I do have Coastals like champ and they are a bright white so I don't charge too much.

Amen to that. Too much glow and it sometimes seems it has to wear off a little before they get hit. Any one else experience this?:)

When I first started running superglow spoons we would start really early,troll around four an hour and a half, get a bunch of hits, charge up our lures with a blacklight and reset them, wait another hour and a half or two hours and pick up a couple more. This made us practically miss primetime. I finally figured it out. Now I wont even bring the UV light. I just wave them in front of my spotlight. I do much better on superglow spoons now. If it is light out I just wave them in the air real quick.

I have a power flasher and a good UV light. I use one on half the boat and the other on the other half. I never saw a differance in bite between the sides. The flashers get wet and they are junk where as I have not had a problem with my FLUKE UV leak detector light. Batteries seem to last a lot longer in the light than the flasher also. I do not super charge my lures on flash with the flasher unless they are black or purple and a quick pass over with the UV light. When the lake has been rough I find the water is dirtier then I charge them more. Other wise too bright in the clear water we have in Lake Michigan spooks the fish in my oppinion.

I read this same thing last year. Ace HArdware has a small UV pocket light for like $10. I bought one and did a little experimenting at the house. One with natural light, one with a flash, one with my spot light, and one with the UV light. My findings were that the UV made the lures glow more quickly with less exposure. For example just waving the UV over the lures made them glow more quickly than the same waving with natural or spot lights. The flash required more time and multiple flash to get the same luminesence. When charging the same lure to the approximate same level (based onn visual comparison only) by each different means, I saw no change in the "length" of glow. My findings show that the UV was more desireable to charge the lures more quickly than other common methods.

Stating that, I will concur with others above in that you need to be careful on the amount of charging to each lure. You definately can overcharge a lure resulting in a long time before it will reach the right glow to entice a hit.

If you use a flasher buy the more expensive flasher. I believe it is called power flasher. It will charge the lures with one flash where as the $10 dollar ones do not compare even with many flashes. The good flasher is about $22 or a little more. The UV light glows a lure a lot quicker than any regular light. You can pretty much give the lure a quick pass over and it will glow.

Here is a thought on over glow I have left some of my Moonshines on my dash by mistake years ago now I do it on purpose. The reason is the sun fade of being on the dash for a couple of days ends the ultra bright glow they still glow for hours but no longer look like a light bulb. I am pretty sure I am not the only one to find that a old nearly worn out Moonshine spoon often works better than a new one out of the package. Oh and it is the UV light spectrum that activates the glow many of the UV lights are actually much brighter than our other lights but much of the light output is not visible to us. A neat trick you can do when fishing at night if you have a UV flashlight is put some glow tape on your boards with a UV flashlight you can recharge the glow while you are fishing. You can try it with you spotlight but a decent UV flashlight will do a much better job. And since the glow lights up as soon as the UV hits it it makes them much easier to find in the dark. The Walleye guys will love this waves and the size of some of our salmon spreads make it tough to do on the big lake.

I have a uv penlite and a camera flash that came fm my old 35mm SLR camera the flash is good for glow plugs and some other stuff but for my moonshine and other glow spoons I use the UV lite its faster and it seems to last longer, the Silver Horde Glow plugs get plenty of glow off the flash as do the Ace Hi and some of my glow flashers.

Some of my fly beads will ONLY glow with sun or uv light, so the spot light thing is out for me.

I think I just put my uv light back in the boat! Thanks for the tip!!!!!!I am going in the basement to test some beads now..Hot fun on a Saturday night:cool: I know it is pretty sad really