Luhr Jensen Dipsy Divers vs. Walker Deeper Divers

So I read a bunch of reviews at an online outfitter (rhymes with "fellas") and a lot of guys over there seem to think that the newer Dipsy Divers aren't built "like they used to be", and were very disappointed in the poor build quality in the new ones. Crappy reviews were more common than positive ones. However, the Walker Deeper Divers seemed to have nearly all positive reviews.

I read this thread but it is over 3 years old, and thought opinions might have evolved so I thought I'd revisit this topic, since I need to buy divers soon.

What are your thoughts?

No Luhr Jensen products for me thanks the Walkers work and work very well. Honestly other than a well known name they are nothing like they used to be. I threw all their snubbers off my boat years ago and for the last 2 years have only carried a couple of their dipsies as a back up and I sold them at the swap meet. Have a couple boxes of J Plugs to part with and then there will be nearly nothing they produce on my boat.

i really like the walkers for all the reasons already mentioned.

i do modify mine a bit. I take the 124 top and match it with the 107 bottom. I like the larger surface area of the 124 without needing a ring but i also prefer the smaller weight over the one that is provided with the 124. it just stinks having to buy two divers to make one. the things we do for happiness!

Last year I had 2 fairly new LJ dipsys (no nuts) stri[ out on the first trip of the year. And I picked up a set of walkers 124 and they have been run every trip and work great. I don't think I will be getting anymore LJ dipsys. I am adding 2 more walkers for wire this year. I really like not having to woory about the ring either.

Steve

Don't the dipsy divers run deeper than the Walkers?

Nope. i find i have to relearn my dive curvs better as i have had the walkers banging the bottom where the dipsies wouldn't.

I also have a few of the old ones that i wont get rid of.Mainly keeping them as backups. I like your idea josh on the larger diameter and smaller weight.

We switched over to the Walkers last year, and we couldn't be more happy about the switch. The quality of the LJ divers recently has been terrible. I even tried writing the company and sending a sample of what was happening, and never heard a word from them. Walker has been GREAT to deal with! They took an old mouse trap (the LJ) and made it even better. The clicking settings on the bottom, better color selection, and a better releasing mechanism.

My only problem with the Walkers, and it's due to being so used to the LJ's, is I tighten the bottom screw too tight and crack the bottom half.

Great thread guys. I wish I read this last year before I bought all my dipsey's last year. Everything said about the dipsey divers is all true. I am so tired of fighting with the O rings to stay on. I have one question whats your favorite color or pattern to use? My favorite color for dipsey was green it caught more fish by far than the red or yellow ones. Also Walker makes 5 different sizes what size are you guys using. I am guessing size 107? Here is a link for all the patterns available http://www.walkerdownriggers.com/deeper_diver.html I think the mettallic green would be the first one I purchase.

Walkers only for me... I like not having to futz with an "O" ring. The dipsys seem very cheaply made. I still use the J Plugs, however I have been EXTREMELY disappointed with the life I got out of my lighted ones.... This year I am switching over to moonshne plugs but the chrome lighted, wonderbread, and grinch j plugs will be kept around.

This thread is funny because on another site it was said that the earlier Walker Divers has issues with the welded ring on the back breaking apart. Apparently, Walker corrected the problem with a stronger "S" type connection but if you have the earlier models you may want to replace the welded ring with a heavy split type ring.

I had a few of the older Walker Divers and broke the welded ring rather easily. I replaced the weleded ring with a large split ring and have had no issues or worries since.

As for colors, I like the metallic green and blue and always a few glow patterns for deeper fishing.

So I read a bunch of reviews at an online outfitter (rhymes with "fellas") and a lot of guys over there seem to think that the newer Dipsy Divers aren't built "like they used to be", and were very disappointed in the poor build quality in the new ones. Crappy reviews were more common than positive ones. However, the Walker Deeper Divers seemed to have nearly all positive reviews.

I read this thread but it is over 3 years old, and thought opinions might have evolved so I thought I'd revisit this topic, since I need to buy divers soon.

What are your thoughts?

I use to run LJ's for years, but ever since I tried the Walker's I've shelved the LJ's. Probably won't ever use them again so they may end up on Craigslist.

As to the welded ring that is true I lost a complete setup behind one when they first came out sent them a email and they said they were sorry they would not replace my flasher and fly however they did send me 5 new Walkers with the S ring which was worth as much or more than the flasher fly even though it was one of my fav setups.

This thread is funny because on another site it was said that the earlier Walker Divers has issues with the welded ring on the back breaking apart. Apparently, Walker corrected the problem with a stronger "S" type connection but if you have the earlier models you may want to replace the welded ring with a heavy split type ring.

I had a few of the older Walker Divers and broke the welded ring rather easily. I replaced the weleded ring with a large split ring and have had no issues or worries since.

As for colors, I like the metallic green and blue and always a few glow patterns for deeper fishing.

This is an old product getting better, when the LJ were a good old product that got worse.