Newbie Gear Question

I would think it would be ok for fishing from a boat, maybe a leadcore rod or diver rod. It sounds a little short and heavy for shore fishing. I would think you would want it a little lighter and longer. I fish by boat so my ideas may be completely off for the shore fishing. Maybe some of our pier fisherman will chime in and give you a better idea.

Define shore fishing??

If your looking to soak spawn or cast spoons your best all around rod is going to be a 8'6 med action Gander Mountian steelhead advantage rod.

50 bucks or so.

Match that with a reel with 200+ yards of line and your all set.

10# line covers most situations.... just use a light leaders when fishing bait... IE 4-6#

What side of the lake are you from?

The best thing you can do is get out and fish with someone that knows the ropes. There are alot of unwritten rules of pier fishing around here that I have watched alot of people learn the hard way.

If your around the Michigan side of the lake, let me know when you want to go out. I have plenty of extra gear you can use.

Also before you go out and buy alot of spoons talk to me first:)

I have a bunch of doubles I will let go of very cheap:)

I shore fish alot and use a 9" Six Rivers rod and Zebco Quantum reel $75 combo with 8 lb test. It works great for salmon and steelheads. I love it so much that I bought a second identical set up. Nothing that a 12 pound steelhead or 20 pound salmon can damage and it has been put to the test a number of times. If you want a real good rod there are a couple of guys on the site that will custom build a rod for you.

I've landed plenty of skams on 8lb test. Not all line is created equal though. I use P-line. I also tie good knots and keep fresh line on my reels. Makes a huge difference. Braids suck when its nasty out. And just wait till you get it stuck in the rocks and can't break it off.

Each to his own though. No right or wrong. Just what you prefer.

Personally I prefer longer rods and lighter line.

Basically the shorter the rod the heavier the line needs to be and vice versa.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the info, guys.

Dave, to answer your question, I'm fairly new to the lakes, so I'm interested in exploring both avenues, spawn and spoon casting.

Se if you can get your hands on a traverse bay tackle steelie rod in the 9 foot or 8 and a half. And I would use the lightest line you feel comfortable with using. I use 6 pound when surf fishing with spawn.

• 3 weeks later...
8 pound test on a busy pier will get you killed during salmon season....

10# is a min. For skams I use 30# braid with a 10 pound leader....

If you have never fished the skam runs you will never understand;)

I stay away from the crowds and do most of my fall fishing at night, but in crowds the guys kind of get upset at the light line guys. They will reel in for you but then they expect you to have your fish in the net like about 30 seconds after it is hooked. The crowded places that I fish I have been there every fall for 20+ years so nobody is going to tell me that I cannot use 8 lb test line. They will also reel in and wait patiently while I fight my fish. That is the way it is and if they don't like it they will be the ones to leave. I am not afraid to tell someone where to go if they don't like how I fish.

Withing reason, most guys are understanding, but if the bite is on.. you better be able to put the wood to your fish. 8# test is not going to do that.

The average bite for kings lasts about 2 hours in the morning. If the guys next to you have to kill 20 or 30 minutes of that watching someone land an 8 pound king on 8# they will be upset

I've landed plenty of skams on 8lb test. Not all line is created equal though. I use P-line. I also tie good knots and keep fresh line on my reels. Makes a huge difference. Braids suck when its nasty out. And just wait till you get it stuck in the rocks and can't break it off.

Each to his own though. No right or wrong. Just what you prefer.

Personally I prefer longer rods and lighter line.

Basically the shorter the rod the heavier the line needs to be and vice versa.

i pretty much agree with what he says. i like braid for trolling divers and night fishing the river for walleye from a boat. and its good for people who like using it. but i would go with an 8'6" or 9' or even a 10' med or m/l with 10# mono or floro line. some rods i like med and others i like m/l. both of them will catch fish. but i just like the idea of floro since the price for it is reasonable now. at one time i trolled early spring with 8# and it worked for me. but when we got a spring king on it just took to long to land the fish. but whatever you choose you can land the fish in open water with lite line if you,ve got your drag set. its alot better to let them run alittle than to break them off. right!!? now you just have to make the finale choice. the best of luck to you.

....sherman....

PS the first thing i think i would do is take dave up on his offer. you just cant beat going with somebody who knows what he,s doing and willing to share that knowledge with you. much less his tackle. you,ll know what you want before you go out and buy something you dont like.

Edited by sherman51
just forgot something