Downriggers: Electric or Manual?

Hello all. New guy here. Been lurking for a few weeks (great forum BTW!) and I'm starting to put together a game plan for setting up my boat for fishing the big pond. One thing I haven't seen discussed is electric vs manual downriggers.

Cost is a factor. But being a small business owner I always look at cost in the long term. So my (naive) question is: would I be better off not having riggers my first year out because electrics won't fit in the budget, or buying manuals and run the risk of replacement cost next year. (The thought was that maybe I could run dipsies off both sides along with planers and save the cost of riggers for year one if it could still be productive.)

What I'm trying to avoid is spending the $ on manuals, only to find that it's way too frustrating and needing to switch them out next year for electrics and losing a bunch of $$$.

I appreciate the input.

Personaly I have had both and would not waste the money on manuals if I was SUREI was going to get electrics next year. That being said I have seen some really good deals on electric DR's used. The electrics I have now are 1992 cannons and they work like a charm.

And between dipsys and copper/core set ups you can easily put 9 rods in the water. A good friend of mine runs 1.5 lbs weights off the back of the boat cause he can't afford DR and they tak fish too.

Steve

Downriggers are an important part of the spread, but with the water so clear you could get into plenty of fish with planer boards, dipseys, ect... I'd recomend checking the swap meets, trade forums and e-bay type sites. You should be able to pick up some used manuals at fair price and get back most of your money selling them if you want to upgrade. I have electrics and it's nice. Upgraded to them when I was rigging a new to me boat. Not sure I would spend the extra $ again. The little bit of extra work with the manuals never bothered me.

Call me old fashioned but I have been running manual riggers since the early 80's. I currently run 4 Big Jon SR400 Capts' pack. I tried the electrics before but just didn't feel it was necessary for my style of fishing. Normally I don't fish at extreme depths that would warrant electrics and those times that I do fish real deep I don't feel it is a problem with the manuals.

Welcome to the site Brian, which port do you plan of fishing out of. I think if you wanted to wait a year for the electrics you could still be productive out on the lake. Like Steve said a spread of long lines, dipsies and thumper rods should cover the the water column pretty well.

I would say DO NOT get the manual downriggers. I have used both over my time fishing in NJ and now here in IL and especially when you have a limited crew electrics are just much simplier to use. You can find good deals for used electrics online so definitely check there first. If you puruse the internet fishing forums each has a for sale section where some great items go up for sale at discount. PM me for a few of those forum addresses.

Best of luck.

Electrics can be much more convenient, coupled with auto stops when the fishing is hot and heavy. They are not a necessity for a beginner IMO. I fished with manuals for years before i had electrics. As RodM said the majority of our fish seem to come off of the dipsy's, lead core and copper off the boards and this is the program that is not near as simple to run as the DR's and takes some time to figure out. I would take the money you save on buying manuals out of the gate and deal with the little bit of extra work and concentrate on the rest of your program because that is where the majority of the work and cost are in this type of fishing. This is just the way i see it though:thumb:

Good luck! Welcome to GLF and the sickness that come with big lake fishing:grin:

To be honest either approach would be fine. You can catch plenty of fish without riggers. But there are a lot of days when I would hate to be without them. So I would either look for a good deal on electric or manuals, preferably used, or just use dipsey's and board rods. I wouldn't worry about losing money on riggers though. If you buy used you should be able to get close to your money back if you want to upgrade.

i dont see any reason why you would have to buy new DRs next year if you bought manual ones this year, besides personal preference. they are not going to wear out.

it all depends on your fishing style. as many have already stated you can catch a lot of fish with out DRs. I have dropped from four to three and some days seems like i am wasting time fishing the three i have. other charter boats fish with 5 or 6 DRs.

Brian, Welcome aboard. My divers out produce the riggers all day long. I wouldn't be in any big hurry to get the riggers. Check Craigs List and the buy sell forums. You will find a deal sooner or later. there's a bunch of good guys here to help you out.

I fish out of manty. I know guys who only will use their manuals and guys that switched. I switched.:) To wait a year is your call, but maybe a set of used ones at a fair price will be affordable for you. With this economy their is always someone selling some. Welcome to the site, i have only been on a short time myself. If you want to ride along sometime, drop me a line.:thumb:

Brian

When I started out I was in the same postion in you are in.I waited on riggers and fished a couple seasons with no riggers.You will be spending money on lots of things in your first couple years(rods and reels,dipseys,copper or lead,planer boards etc.)This will also give you chance to see how well you like it and a chance to learn and catch fish on boards and dipseys.The 2 big reasons I added 2 riggers was to add a depth raider which is a temp and speed measuring device.Did I catch more fish when I added riggers? No. Because I usually fish with 1 other person so adding riggers meant removing two boards or dipseys. What I love about riggers is when you do get a fish on one they are close to the boat and the fight is great.If you get the same fish on a 300ft. of copper(very product for putting fish in the boat)after about have way in he is spent and your pretty much dragging him in.

P.S. don't be afraid to ask all kinds of questions, the fisherman on this site are great and very very helpful.I have only been fishing 6 years and still learning thanks to these guys.

When I started out I had two manual cannon downriggers on my Lund. I used them successfully for a few years while I built up my rod/reel collection. When I went to a bigger boat (17' to 28') I thought it would be better to upgrade to electrics because I would have a wider spread, and flipping a few switches vs. winding up manual DR's would be a lot easier. I liked my manuals unless you went really deep, and you had some false releases.

you can find a set of hand cranks for cheep,i just sold a pair of bj with 4 foot booms ready to fish for 150 bucks,buy a cheep set use them for a year or two till you can get elect.and pass them along.i my self could not go without riggers but i have a bit of a problem when it comes to fishing equipment,i cant buy enough of it:thumb:good luck out there this season

You could get 2 manual used riggers and be fine for the next 15 years. An 18 foot boat shouldn't have more than 2 riggers. 2 electrics will cost $1000 bucks and 2 used manual about $250. I wouldn't trust used electrics unless you know the guy. the other $750 will buy alot of leadcore rods which will catch more than the riggers anyways.

Not sure what it would cost to ship them but I have a set of Rivera Manuals you can have for 60 bucks for the pair. They served me well have counters and are in decent shape with 4 ft booms. As others have stated you can fish without riggers and I went down to just 2 riggers one thing you can do with riggers is run light tackle. I used to run my river gear with 8# test chasing Steelhead out deep what a blast but you can't do that with a board on. A rigger will send nearly any fishing setup down to most any depth depending on ball weight and currents.

I thought I was fine with manuals and definitely was until I went with someone else with electrics and got to use them. If you find a deal on Big Jon electrics, I would not hesitate to get them. I have not dealt with other brands service departments, but based on feedback from others and my own limited experience with them, they are second to none. I have used Cannon, Big Jon and Walker manuals and would recommend any of them if that is the way you choose to go. Keep shopping and good luck.

I started out last year with Cannon 2 lake troll , and then found a real good deal on 2 big jon manuals with 4 ft boom and added them. Then I started running divers and planer boards . If you don't get any riggers you will be fine just invest in copper and wire divers .

Some days the only reason I put down a rigger is to put out my temp probe.

Well the rigger bite is not what it used to be but I would not fish without them they add way too many options to the spread. And when the release trips it is just you and the fish no diver boards or miles of line and trinkets between you. It is also pretty much the only way you can run light tackle down deep trolling. And when you add up the other stuff it can be the least expensive option if you find a good deal on some used riggers. I run fairly cheap wire diver setups and still have over 200 bucks a rod into them now tie on another 40 bucks worth of stuff on the other end and it is not a cheap setup. Copper is the same way not hard to get close to 200 bucks each into rod and reel setups ready to fish. then add in planer boards and lures. Lead core is cheapest option till you want to get deeper than 40 ft or so then you need a Warn Winch for a reel to hold the line and again a planer board top that off with the fact no one ever runs to grab a long lead core rod because it is a PITA to reel all that line in. I used to run a dbl core and no one ever wanted it to go off. Only times I ever saw guys give up their turn for a fish is on long cores. But you can put your kids Zebco setup on a rigger and send it down. And it will catch fish, will likely burn up on contact but it will hook a fish down deep.