Superior Browns??

I know that they get a few by Marquette and we used to get them pretty good in the Soo. I have been racking my brains out trying to get the DNR to plant a few more in the UP. What a joke that is getting to be. It seems like almost every brown trout that comes out of the hatcheries gets a ticket to SW L Michigan. Get on the DNR there Bromley it would be interesting to see if you get the same response that I have had. They just tell me no no and no. You say Brown Trout and UP in the same sentence and the biologists slam you. Meanwhile the same biologists are taking Atlantic Salmon from the UP and planting them throughout the LP. I think that there should be some kind of a trade here.

• 1 year later...

I'm on the west end of the UP and can only think of one lake stocked with browns, I wish there were more. I hear of a few browns taken here and there on Superior as kind of a bonus fish from time to time when fishing in the spring or fall but nothing like my friends from WI used to do on Lake Michigan.

I'm on the west end of the UP and can only think of one lake stocked with browns, I wish there were more. I hear of a few browns taken here and there on Superior as kind of a bonus fish from time to time when fishing in the spring or fall but nothing like my friends from WI used to do on Lake Michigan.

Welcome to the site Bill.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dupont24eng/6943255174/in/photostream

I unfortunately got laid off from my job in the lower peninsula so now I'm living back in the UP and figured I would use some Lake Michigan tactics on Keweenaw Bay and ended up with this guy last week fishing out of South Entry in Chassell. We had one more to the back of the boat but it came unglued before the net.

• 1 month later...

The MDNR is currently in the final stages of making the switch from Seeforellen strain brown trout, which don't reproduce well anymore, to a new strain in their hatcheries. Browns are likely to ecome more numerous as the stocking of Chinook declines in Lakes Michigan and Huron.