Spring Browns

I have not done alot of this and would like some tips because I would like to give it a try as soon as I can get out this spring. I know alot of the basic lures, but do most people start on the shallow bars and move out if nothing happens, or just keep on the beach and look for warmer water. Also, what port is the best bet from St Joe to Grand Haven? What speeds are good?

Thanks for the help!

I got 9 last spring in 2 trips. I have never found them right on the beach like some have. My best has always to be in 5 to 8fow with 4 boards out on each side. Some days its the inside, some the outside. Best to fish when the water is a little stained not gin clear. Speed between 1.8 and 2.4. Small spoons, thin fish, and body baits all work. 25K of the new Sturgeon River Browns were released in Holland last year and should be 2/3# come spring. Any that made it should be somewhere near there. I think they are right ventrical cliped. Let me know if you find any.

I got 9 last spring in 2 trips. I have never found them right on the beach like some have. My best has always to be in 5 to 8fow with 4 boards out on each side. Some days its the inside, some the outside. Best to fish when the water is a little stained not gin clear. Speed between 1.8 and 2.4. Small spoons, thin fish, and body baits all work. 25K of the new Sturgeon River Browns were released in Holland last year and should be 2/3# come spring. Any that made it should be somewhere near there. I think they are right ventrical cliped. Let me know if you find any.

Kevin hit it write on the head, St. joe can also be very good.

p4100292.jpg

These were takeing south of St. Joe,

2010-04-18_13.43.36.jpg

p4100288.jpg

And a few from Holland, most of these fish came on body baits in about 12 ft. of water.

I have been hit or miss in the shallow water. Look for temp breaks and dirty water. With browns more than any fish 99 percent of the fish are in 1 percent of the water. I could run the shorelines in clear water without a bump for hours, find dirty water and boom there goes a board. Dont be afraid to try the pier heads as well, especially if you get a nice scum line. :)4IBr7IowK9k

In shallow I like floating rapalas and xraps. Deeper out to 25 feet i like reeprunners in crawdad.

Edited by BlueCollarOutdoors
youtube link

You get so much information here like the 25,000 Sturgeon River Brown Trout that get planted in Holland. The DNR is playing Robin Hood again. I have spent the last 10 years trying to get some browns replanted in N Lake Huron because a virus wiped them out in the mis 1990's. I can't get so much as a response from the DNR other than no. Now they take brown trout from Northern Michigan and where are they planted? In a place where their is already a healthy brown trout population. Sometimes A guy has to wonder why he even buys a license. I should just take my license money and mail a check to Holland or South Haven.

Well Dean last year was my first year fishing for Browns and we did really well inside the breakwall in Milwaukee . We started fishing at the end of March and the Browns lasted into the first week of May. Deepest we fished was 35ft. 20-25ft down. pulling Spoons.

Port Austin, Tawas, Oscoda, Alpena and Rogers City are all spots to try for brown trout in the spring in Lake Huron. We used to do great along the shoreline out from Singing Bridge, but haven't tried in years.

The great thing about Lake Huron at those spots in the spring, is atlantic salmon, as well as steelhead are caught with the browns. They get a lot of coho around the Thumb as well, during spring.

Does anyone know where to go for Brown on the Lake Huron side? We fish out of Harbor Beach a lot, don't hear a lot of reports out of Lake Huron though.

Browns can be caught just about any port along the thumb. Pt Huron, Lex, Sanilac, Harbor Beach. The do plant many on this side in the fall and hopefully the survival rate is good. This thread speaks of the plant this past fall at Harbor Beach http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19953

This past fall we caught several out of Sanilac while trolling while also seeing a lot of the planters in the harbor on the way back in to load up. Barring no more car/deer accidents this upcoming spring I hope to get back on the water early.

these ports at times can produce browns i have caught a few at sanilac in the harbor last year and one day after a slow morning out deep i put on bombers off the boards and moved into 40fow and went 2/3 on browns so i think there is some around just a little tougher with gin clear water huron had last spring