crazy

hfitch

I was just reading a story on the internet that 4 people had to rescued from the ice on Lake Superior. They were out of Minnesota. One guy fell thru the ice with his four-wheeler. They were out near the Apostle Islands, 15 MILES off shore over 160 feet of water!!! I don't even see how that could be an enjoyable trip! I'd be a nervous wreck the whole time!! But then again, I like to ice fish, but not that much!

When it comes to Lake Superior, if it wasn't in a bay or a harbor, any distance would be no good for me! The rescuers they interviewed said the ice the whole way out was punky with some very thin spots. They don't know how they made it out that far in the first place. They rescued them with air boats. That's one way I would go out that far to fish is in an air boat or maybe an Argo, but that's it!

I dont know how far they normally go out up there,but i know this year on Saginaw Bay we are going out way farther than we normally do. 9-12 miles has been the norm. When your out that far, whats a few more? Fish are holding deeper here, wonder if it could be the same there? Might be crazy to some, but right at home for others. Obviously you gotta have the right conditions and not push it. Eitehr of which i cannot speak of for these cats on that "pond". But under the right conditions its very doable.

Saginaw Bay I think is a far different creature than open waters of Lake Superior. They weren't in a bay and the water was 160 ft. deep! I agree we don't know and they might but it just gives me chills to think about doing something like that. I'm sure around the islands the ice is very safe and protected, but the lake to get there I don't see that being stable at all. Like I said, I'd do it in a jet sled or maybe even an Argo, but I wouldn't do it in something that didn't float!

We house a brand new $60,000 hovercraft in one of our shops for our local sherrifs department just because of this type of thing. They destroyed the old one running out in a similar situation for a break through rescue last year. The hull was ripped to shreds by all of the choppy shove ice WAY out on the lake trout grounds.

You won't catch me out there either, but for the guys that still risk it...the new hovercraft has more ground clearance and a full kevlar hull:thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

You can see the monster lake trout that they catch on you tube but for a monster greaser that they throw back down the hole. Not worth it. On You Tube it looks like they are on mabey 4 inches of ice. Once the word gets out good we can telivise it and call it Ice Road Ice Fishermen or Ice Road Idiots.