Newbie questions

Rick, I just spooled two 30d convectors up with 750' of 40# power pro, and 150' of 32 pound Blood Run copper. I checked and I can get 50 more feet of copper on them. That 150' 32# will go down 30+-feet. (the extra 50' would gain 10' of depth)

The 30d convector would hold the similar amount of core. 150' of core will get you down 20+- feet. 200' of core will get you 26+-feet.

What can I spool on convector 30, Length of leadcore, and length of copper? How deep will 150 copper run? Thanks for any help!! Going to be asking a lot of questions as I ramp up into big lake fishing!!!!!!!

If u have 2 reels u can wind one on backwards to fill it to the max then just reel onto the other. This will let u know how much each can hold without over/under filling them. Although it does take 2 reels.

Keep the questions coming. There is lots to be learned from here. I have only been fishing for a few years and the nice folks at GLF have helped tremendously. My 30D are my wire dipsy rods which are more versatile than a single length of copper or core if u dont have dipsy rods yet IMHO. :thumb:

Do u have any others core or copper so as not to duplicate?

I would definitely do the 2 wire dipsy's, u wont be let down. Wire is productive and awesome for the fight with no stretch.;)

Time of year, water temps, depth, thermocline, preferred species all come into play for what is gonna work.

Last year it was deep deep deep for me most of the year. I always have luck on my 150' 200' 250' 300' coppers. So i added a 50' and 100' copper for this year. I run 45# copper. Just depends on the day and conditions. I would say just try to spread them out as much as u can. If i had 3 core rods to make i would do a full core, 5 color and 3 color. The nice part of the shorter cores is that u can add weight to get them deeper. Dive bombs, torpedo weights, snap weights, etc. Just my .02 cents:) Im sure others will have different opinions.

Do u have any others core or copper so as not to duplicate?

I would definitely do the 2 wire dipsy's, u wont be let down. Wire is productive and awesome for the fight with no stretch.;)

Time of year, water temps, depth, thermocline, preferred species all come into play for what is gonna work.

Last year it was deep deep deep for me most of the year. I always have luck on my 150' 200' 250' 300' coppers. So i added a 50' and 100' copper for this year. I run 45# copper. Just depends on the day and conditions. I would say just try to spread them out as much as u can. If i had 3 core rods to make i would do a full core, 5 color and 3 color. The nice part of the shorter cores is that u can add weight to get them deeper. Dive bombs, torpedo weights, snap weights, etc. Just my .02 cents:) Im sure others will have different opinions.

I agree with this reply. One other thing to mention is that you could use the the shorter lead/copper as a secret weapon rig (SWR) on a rigger for a different look. All of the lengths listed above are killers for steelhead by themselves and with the weight added and the right boards you can get deep if needed. I have a lot of copper combos that I bring to the lake and in a 20 footer, I am starting to run out of room. The add on weights can do alot when you only have a few rods.

Here are a few things I saw or learned the hard way. When letting out copper ,let it out very slowly and with drag on lightly or thumb on copper on spool or it will bird nest in a split second.I saw a freind spool up a 10 color lead core in sections. 3 colors then a 3 ft piece of mono then 2 more colors and piece of mono and then the final 5 colors.This gave him 3 choices on 1 rod and reel. Remember clip your board to the mono and not on the lead or copper. I was also taught to let out the lead or copper until the knot between the backing and copper or lead is in the water,then clip on your board.Sounds like you are well on your way to fishing fun and spending more money.

well so far I have two braid dipseys, 150 yds 30# pp, backing to fill reel until line counter was calibrated reeled on backwards and then put on other reel and matched for second reel. Next two reels done with 5 colors, 1oo ft oncounter of 30# BG, 150 yds 30# pp and ten level winds of 30# BG backer then put on other reel and matched on next reel. So I have 4 reels matched to make repeatable, two dipseys and two cores. Now how do I make a knot with 45# copper that will fit through a 30 reel guide? Use PPro or mono? Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!! Rick

Whether it be copper or leadcore. I prefer to let about 50' of backing out before I clip the line into the boards. Just my thing, let your presentation maximize it's depth.....Clipping tight to the LC or CU isn't my style.

Now how do I make a knot with 45# copper that will fit through a 30 reel guide? Use PPro or mono? Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!! Rick

Albright knot works great for me. I believe the 30 guide is the same as the 45 and 55 if i remember correctly. Knot really any difference in size btw. pp or mono knot. I have been adding a 30' piece of mono btw the backer and copper to clip on boards. I believe the make an after market replacement for the reels that is bigger to fit big knots. I have have never really had an issue with them fitting.

http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com