Single hooks on spoons

How many of you change the treble hooks on spoons for singles. I first saw a single in action last may and the hook was actually in the mouth and out the nose on 1 fish and out the top of the head on the other. Last year I didn't lose a fish (but I only boated 28). I am wondering if I should be changing the most used spoons or am I just trying to think useless crap up to do before spring.

Thanks Steve

I'm a real believer in the large Siwash style hooks. When they are hooked they don't usually get off. I think the fish can get some leverage when shaking and twisting on a treble and that normally spells fish off. Run them 50/50 and keep track of your hook and land ratio. I'll bet the singles win. Much easier to get out of the net too.

How many of you change the treble hooks on spoons for singles. I first saw a single in action last may and the hook was actually in the mouth and out the nose on 1 fish and out the top of the head on the other. Last year I didn't lose a fish (but I only boated 28). I am wondering if I should be changing the most used spoons or am I just trying to think useless crap up to do before spring.

Thanks Steve

I'd just make sure your trebles are "sticky sharp". Maybe you can use the single hook as a stinger.

I like the single hooks, but like every thing their are pros and cons.

The #1 con of single hooks is brain hooking shakers.

The pros The single hooks are much safer, Less trouble in the net, better hookups, fish rarely get off, they store easier, and much more bone penetrating hooking power.:)

Sharp hooks are a must single or treble.

I love singles but on spoons my catch rate has dropped every time I have tried them. Which has me thinking the weight change has some effect on the action or something not sure. A couple years ago I ran a Moonshine Happi Meal with a 4/0 Siwash hook on one rigger and a Happi Meal on the other rigger right out of the package. The best I can tell other than the hooks they were identical setups maybe a few in difference in distance between the ball and lure. Ran the setup on 2 different days for about 2 hours pre sunup. The spoon with the treble took at least 2 fish both days the one with the single never took a fish. Not a scientific test by any means but enough to in my opinion give up on spoons with singles unless they come that way in the package.

From my past experience I believe the spoons with trebles need trebles for the same action. I like single hooks on my flys but have experienced dramatic differance in number of strikes when I changed the spoons. After fishing with Frank (Priority one) I sharpen all my hooks even on new lures and have almost 100% hook rate. Make sure you sharpen and remove the chrome off the hook on the point and you will get good hook ups. I like a treble with a single stinger on my meat rigs.

I like the singles for the reasons others have stated. But I have noticed that on certain spoons they do seem to kill the action. But for most spoons they don't matter. Everyone says that keeping your hooks sharp is the most important thing. It is much easier to keep a single sharp than a treble. I check the hook every time I have a hit. I keep a hook file right next to the pliers on the back of the boat. Usually it only takes 1 or 2 swipes on the single and they are back in the water, sharp and ready to go. There is one brand of spoon that I don't sharpen the hooks on. Those are the Big Lake Lures spoons. I don't know what brand they are but they are so hard I can't seem to sharpen them. And they are wicked sharp out of the package.

When i was in high school I worked at Eppingers in dearborn. Karen Eppinger was showing a customer around and he was asking about single hooks for his lodge in canada on a 5 of diamonds spoon. What she told him was the way a spoon is designed is the way it should stay if you change any part of the spoon including hook size it will affect the action of the spoon. If a lure has a split ring to tie to it is designed to use it if not then dont add one. I have stayed with this theory as she should know how the spoons are designed to work.

we change all our hooks to singles. Stinger sends us blanks, and everyone gets a single hook. Dont see any difference in action. They catch fish,and when you get a single hook in your face, your coming in the boat! Ive had to use wire cutters many times to split the jaw, eye socket and the top of the head to get the hook out.