Flasher/Fly Setup

I have some of each but really like the Pro Chip I have a lot of Spin Doctors but could sell them and not miss em much. I don't think we caught a single fish with a Spin Doctor last season. I keep saying this to pretty much everyone find what works for you and how you fish and build your program around it. There are hundreds of little things that cause fish to bite and often you might have something bringing them into your spread that they don't bite but they bite something else right up till you pull the thing that attracted them to begin with. So I will often leave my spread intact if we are getting fish even if it looks like I have a couple of dead rods in the water. Many times we have pulled the dead rod only to have the whole spread go dead so in fact it was not a dead rod it just was not getting hit. 33 trips last season worst trip was 3 fish so not a bad season.

I have some of each but really like the Pro Chip I have a lot of Spin Doctors but could sell them and not miss em much. I don't think we caught a single fish with a Spin Doctor last season. I keep saying this to pretty much everyone find what works for you and how you fish and build your program around it. There are hundreds of little things that cause fish to bite and often you might have something bringing them into your spread that they don't bite but they bite something else right up till you pull the thing that attracted them to begin with. So I will often leave my spread intact if we are getting fish even if it looks like I have a couple of dead rods in the water. Many times we have pulled the dead rod only to have the whole spread go dead so in fact it was not a dead rod it just was not getting hit. 33 trips last season worst trip was 3 fish so not a bad season.

Good stuff. Thanks.

I bought several of the VK articulated flashers last spring and thought they were going to be the ticket. Didn't work that way:no: Spin Doctors were hot for me and since I make the Eyeflies, that's what I run of course. #3, 5, 8, 18, and 21 were best for me overall. But a few days the #19 Juvil Eye , which is extreme UV, run 40" behind a large paddle and the deepest set in the spread was the ticket.

But over all, the Spin Doctors worked best. Now I have to pick up a few Protrolls for this year :grin:

My box is full of Spin Doctors, VK's, Flodgers, Dodgers, and Dreamweavers but no Protrolls. 1 Maniac, I see they have Prochip and Hotchip Protrolls. Your recommendation?

Thanks,

Mike

The Prochips have a fin that makes them a rotator. The hotchips do not have the fin and are a flasher. Both of them have echips.

I run a lot of protrolls prochips in my spread, and seem to have better luck with the 11" flashers than the 8" with the protrolls. For 8" flashers I like to run Hot Spots. I like the big paddles for running deep and slow trying to pull big kings off the bottom and the protrolls seem to handle the slower speeds quite well.

Good stuff. Thanks.

I bought several of the VK articulated flashers last spring and thought they were going to be the ticket. :grin:

I bought a couple of them too. Didn't like the tape colors so I taped them with our most productive SD colors....NADA... WE even had one in the water on an evening trip where every rod out of thirteen took multiple hits, that rod took 0. They do look cool in the water though!

I run a lot of protrolls prochips in my spread, and seem to have better luck with the 11" flashers than the 8" with the protrolls. For 8" flashers I like to run Hot Spots. I like the big paddles for running deep and slow trying to pull big kings off the bottom and the protrolls seem to handle the slower speeds quite well.

Same here. I do run the finned pro-troll on my wire dipsey but like Kyle said, I love Hot Spots on everything, even copper/core.

046-1.jpg

496.jpg

These 2 setups caught over 200 fish for us this season. White and green hotspot and green oil slick opti with the # 11 and # 17 eyeflies. They will deffinetly be a go to setup for next season. The top one is also a UV hotspot. Sunny days these combos rocked.

Its funny to hear all the Green stuff being the best for you guys! Up here on the North tip of the Lake, BLUE is the ticket, and has been for a few years. Spoons, Flasher/Fly, Meat rigs, ect... Not to say green dosent work, just that around here(Fairport), Blue baits triple the catch of any other color.

This was my stud last year, and the fly in the pic took well over 50 Kings in July and still looks great!!

Blue/Glow Spin Doctor. 23" Leader to a Mikes Eye Fly "UV Double Blue Eye". And MOST importantly, 3 large Super Glow beads. :thumb:

eyeflies2.jpg

EyeFly1.jpg

That fly does look awesome, I will have to give it a good try this next season. I bet it would be a stud behind a white pro troll. Where are you measuring your leader lengths from?

Its funny to hear all the Green stuff being the best for you guys! Up here on the North tip of the Lake, BLUE is the ticket, and has been for a few years. Spoons, Flasher/Fly, Meat rigs, ect... Not to say green dosent work, just that around here(Fairport), Blue baits triple the catch of any other color.

This was my stud last year, and the fly in the pic took well over 50 Kings in July and still looks great!!

Blue/Glow Spin Doctor. 23" Leader to a Mikes Eye Fly "UV Double Blue Eye". And MOST importantly, 3 large Super Glow beads. :thumb:

eyeflies2.jpg

EyeFly1.jpg

Where are you getting your super glow beads from?

Where are you getting your super glow beads from?

I get everything from Mike, the owner of Mikes Eyeflies. http://www.eyeflies.com/products.html Not sure of the exact make of them, but the ones he has glow like crazy! I have tried many other glow beads trying to find the ones with the most "lasting" power. Mikes got em!

As I have said before, color of the fly aside, the glow beads are a MUST as far as I am concerned. I have done tons of experimenting with this, and have proven to myself beyond the shadow of a doubt, the glow beads can make all the difference. I have had few days where the fish would hit both the non-glow and the glow stuff equally, but NEVER a day where the non-glow outperformed the glow. Never. And remember, glow isnt just for the dark! Especially with all the really deep fishing I do, glow really shines!(no pun intended!)

IMHO, the best way to enhance any fly is with glow beads under the skirt....cause we all know its whats under the skirt that counts :cool:

The Big Weenie heads glow like they are battery powered I have bullet heads from Atom-mic, Purple Taco and Big Weenie. I have used the Atom-mic heads for 2 years and they work. I have several hundred flies tied with them and have given a lot of them to friends as well as the bunch that we added to the prize packs for the MSCST events last year. I have not heard of a single complaint they catch fish this year I got some of the Purple Taco Extended glow heads and was blown away until Gary sent me his samples.

dsc00003.jpg

That is one of the new BW beads and head. I can't find one of the Atom-mic fly pics right now but will will tie up 3 identical flies using the different materials and see if I can get some good picks.

Charged up a BW XXXtreme glow head next to a Purple Taco glow head and a Atom-Mic glow head same amount of light applied to each at 20 min only the Purple Taco and BW were still glowing at 1 hour only the BW head still had visable glow tried to take pics but could not get exposure settings to capture any of them after 20 min. Guess I need a better digital camera.