Flasher/Fly Setup

What was your most productive flasher/fly setup of this year? Normally for the past 2-3 years I would have said green bechold and a pickled sunshine fly, but for some reason just couldn't seem to get that one to fire alot this year. Best flasher/fly setup on our boat was an 11'' white crush glow DW flasher and a sea mist horse fly. Caught fish every time out when place at 72'.

11inch white fishscale protroll/stinger flasher with a hypnotist rapture trolling fly on the shoot rigger down DEEP

I was wondering when someone would throw out a Rapture fly! Love 'em! My favorite is a green hypnotist dragged behind a 8" mtn dew spin doctor.

Last year we had our best success running large paddles that were predominantly white or all white with 11" slick glow white fishcatcher leading the pack. Fly color was usually green or blue most days with Bugeye double glow chartruese being my top fish getter. The old seaweed horsefly behind an 8" green/white fishcatcher really stuck a ton of fish on the wire divers also for the first time in about five years on my boat.

Two years ago, most flasher/fly fish were on black or chartruese paddles and I couldn't buy a bite on the white stuff. Last year I think I cought only one fish on black and a few on chartruese. Really curious to see what they'll want this year.

Its funny to hear all the Green stuff being the best for you guys! Up here on the North tip of the Lake, BLUE is the ticket, and has been for a few years. Spoons, Flasher/Fly, Meat rigs, ect... Not to say green dosent work, just that around here(Fairport), Blue baits triple the catch of any other color.

This was my stud last year, and the fly in the pic took well over 50 Kings in July and still looks great!!

Blue/Glow Spin Doctor. 23" Leader to a Mikes Eye Fly "UV Double Blue Eye". And MOST importantly, 3 large Super Glow beads. :thumb:

eyeflies2.jpg

EyeFly1.jpg

Its funny to hear all the Green stuff being the best for you guys! Up here on the North tip of the Lake, BLUE is the ticket, and has been for a few years. Spoons, Flasher/Fly, Meat rigs, ect... Not to say green dosent work, just that around here(Fairport), Blue baits triple the catch of any other color.

It seems to me that green is best in southern Lk Mich and Blue north. Went to Manistee last year and it was almost all blue stuff that took fish whether it be sppons or flashers.

Had excellent success with an 8" Spindoctor Mt Dew crushed glow and a variety of Mike's eyeflies last season on Lake Michigan, Green Bay. One of my favorites and one that snared a 25+ pounder last summer was a blue eye with a double 4-0 hook set up. The hooks Mike uses on his flies are killer. Great hook ups and hook strength.

http://www.eyeflies.com/products.html

Had excellent success with an 8" Spindoctor Mt Dew crushed glow and a variety of Mike's eyeflies last season on Lake Michigan, Green Bay. One of my favorites and one that snared a 25+ pounder last summer was a blue eye with a double 4-0 hook set up. The hooks Mike uses on his flies are killer. Great hook ups and hook strength.

http://www.eyeflies.com/products.html

Welcome to GLF Mike!

White Spin Doctor with a Mike's Eyefly following it. My most productive fly of the year was #14, Green Eye Dolphin.

w_14_green_eye_dolphin.jpg

I actually went through my records a month ago and this setup took 38% of my kings this year. The spin doctor and Mike's Eyefly were 2 constants. I tried different versions of this brand of fly and #7 also worked well, Pearl Eye Ghost, for me. I usually rigged the skirts with the single hooksets, glow beads. I already ordered some more for this upcoming season. They are very well built and sure catch fish.

White Spin Doctor with a Mike's Eyefly following it. My most productive fly of the year was #14, Green Eye Dolphin.

w_14_green_eye_dolphin.jpg

I actually went through my records a month ago and this setup took 38% of my kings this year. The spin doctor and Mike's Eyefly were 2 constants. I tried different versions of this brand of fly and #7 also worked well, Pearl Eye Ghost, for me. I usually rigged the skirts with the single hooksets, glow beads. I already ordered some more for this upcoming season. They are very well built and sure catch fish.

%38 is a big percentage. Can I ask what the total for the year was?

%38 is a big percentage. Can I ask what the total for the year was?

67 kings total. 26 of them came on a white spin doctor/Mikes Eyefly. The majority of the fish were on the #14 Green Eye Dolphin. All these fish came from Manistique (the UP version, notice the "q") out of a 16 foot boat. I usually run 3 downriggers, 2 dipsys, and one level line with a rapala or short piece of lead core. I had this flasher/fly combo on one downrigger about 20 to 30 feet behind the ball each trip. I know next year I am definately making more than just 1 out of 6 rods an eyefly set up.

11in Pro Troll white with blue crinkle with a white UV fly I make ran it all season and took a lot of fish on it. Also a ProTroll 8in UV paddle with UV no see em style fly I make, we make tons of changes so only a few things stay down very long the big Pro Troll board is almost always down unless we send down a different 11in Pro troll board and fly like a Wonder bread which also takes fish no matter what fly is behind it. I really don't bother to name my flies or try to copy other flies I just keep mixing stuff and seeing what it will catch.

11in Pro Troll white with blue crinkle with a white UV fly I make ran it all season and took a lot of fish on it. Also a ProTroll 8in UV paddle with UV no see em style fly I make, we make tons of changes so only a few things stay down very long the big Pro Troll board is almost always down unless we send down a different 11in Pro troll board and fly like a Wonder bread which also takes fish no matter what fly is behind it. I really don't bother to name my flies or try to copy other flies I just keep mixing stuff and seeing what it will catch.

My box is full of Spin Doctors, VK's, Flodgers, Dodgers, and Dreamweavers but no Protrolls. 1 Maniac, I see they have Prochip and Hotchip Protrolls. Your recommendation?

Thanks,

Mike