How Deep?

When guys refer to "Charter Tactics out deep" on this website, how deep are you? In a smaller boat I'm always hesitant to venture out further than 200', especially with only one motor. At one time we made it out to 250', but that was more on accident because we were fightin a double trying to stay away from the crowd in 150'. So, just curious how deep is "deep".

fishing out of Racine, Wi - I consider anything over 200' "out deep," anything over 300' is "out really deep."

A lot depends on where you are on the lake. The northern portion of lake michigan sees deeper water a lot closer to shore than the southern portion. 200 fow could be 5 miles out of one port and 20 miles out of another port. Fishing out 15-20 miles can be REALLY lonely sometimes!

Killerbe20 pretty much hit the nail on the head. Depends on the port and distances from shore. I see you fish Ludington per your pics. on your profile page Fly, if so, you should already be acquainted with Big Pt. Sable. The "bank" we refer to there, starts at about 60 fow, and drops to 150 fow in a hurry from the 00's to the 04's. It then drops again westerly from 150'-300' somewhat slower but not so distant from shore. Yes, when the early bite is finished shortly around 7-9am, depending on the time of year and traffic, we usually move offshore for steelhead and lakers, depending on the early action and consistency of bites. Please note, moving deeper usually means changing most of the early bite program to an entirely different program, again, depending on the month, and the fish you are targeting. It's a safer idea to stay within sight distance of other fishermen when venturing real deep in a small boat, in any weather, you're on the right track there. Thanks.

I fish 300 FOW water out of Montague and it is not that far out. 300 is a lot further out in Muskegon. I also fish out to 400 Little Point Sauble. I start shallow and work out in the morning and out deep to shallow in the evening. Last year because the water was so warm most my fishing was in 100 to 250 FOW. 450 coppers with Silver horde splatter backs were best producers along with 15 and 18 color lead. I have a single engine 26 foot Thompson Fisherman.

You don't have to go deep when the bite shuts down. Sometimes it helps, but what is actually helping most of the guys that go out deep is getting away from the boat pack. Boat traffic shuts the fish down. If the water is piss warm in shallow the fish do drop to the bottom, so moving deeper to colder water will find you more active fish. I am a huge believer in fishing way away from other boats, and actually a buddy and I have our best luck for big kings after the suicide bite. The trick is knowing what to do to get them to bite, but once you got it down most of your fish will be mature kings.

We find alot of big kings way higher in the water column mid morning than deeper. This last season I had some great mid day bites flat lining J plugs of boards.

I fish Milwaukee, after the sun breaks the horizon I head east and fish 285-350 fow. I did this last year in a 16.5' Lund. If your going deep pay attention to the waves and weather. I also advocate getting a kicker, you never know when your gonna need it.

When fishing deep water I normally fish from the surface to 75' down.

Oh yeah, 300 FOW of water is about 13.5 miles from the main gap

Do you start your morning out this deep, or do you gradually make your way out there as the morning bite dies?

For me, it really depends on where I finished up the night before. Out of Frankfort I guess I'll consider "deep" as 225' and deeper which isn't very far out of port. If I am sticking fish Friday night at dark in 200' of water, that is probably where I'll already be when the sun comes up on Saturday.

If I didn't fish the previous night and don't have a trusted report to point me out there, I'll usually set up in about 100' before light and work out from there. In Frankfort, the first light boat pack seems to hang in the 100' -150' zone and if at all possible I try to stay outside of them. I'm usually one of the first boats into 200' on any given morning that I'm out. As was mentioned before, boat traffic can really shut down the bite in a hurry, so I like a little seperation. That, and it is so much more peaceful when you don't have to try to weave through the boats!

Somedays my fishing deep at first light does work against me. There are a few days each year that I should have stayed in the pack with the super active fish, but overall my bite is fairly steady past 200'.