Locking my Tracks

I have Berts tracks that hold rod holders and downriggers and my new boat wont fit in garage during summer. Anybody have any different lock end screws or anyway to lock on $$$ worth of equipment rather than just a hex head? Figure others must have same concerns but never saw anything different.:confused: I live in nice neighborhood but never know when a few hoodlums might roll through. Any thoughts?

Hey Justin,

Nee Hi is sold and gone:thwak::( But the good news is I got a 1987 17' Sylvan. Will post some pics when spring comes. Its a little faster but not quite the sweet style of the Nee Hi. Just hope I can keep my riggers and holders on the tracks hehe.

Just a thought, what about the taperproof screws you see on the bathroom doors that only have the half slot so you can put them in but not back them out? It would be fairly permenent.

I slide my holders off and lock them up in the head, after the trip so I don't know if it would work.

Lots of tamper proof screws out there best ones break off when you tighten them but you have to drill them out to remove them.

Thanks guys. Thats what im looking for. Take off couple times a season prob. Any clue where to get such things?

If someone really wants em they r gonna get em but i wanna slow em down so i can react. Hopefully.

I have Berts tracks that hold rod holders and downriggers and my new boat wont fit in garage during summer. Anybody have any different lock end screws or anyway to lock on $$$ worth of equipment rather than just a hex head? Figure others must have same concerns but never saw anything different.:confused: I live in nice neighborhood but never know when a few hoodlums might roll through. Any thoughts?

I run SS carriage bolts through the tracks (one on each end) with lock nuts on the bottom. The would-be thieves cant get a grip on the round head, and the rod holders, or downriggers won't slide over the top. I've done this for my rod holders, and downriggers so it would be very difficult, and obvious if someone wanted to take them off. They would sure have to work for them. And if they're stealing to begin with they're too damn lazy to work for anything.:grin:

What the difference if its summer or winter? equiment too high?

Takes about 15 minutes of fidgeting to fit in garage by about 1/4" plus taking off all eq to fit in garage. Fine for winter(gotta have a place to drink beer all winter:p)but wont happen at midnight.

• 2 weeks later...
I run SS carriage bolts through the tracks (one on each end) with lock nuts on the bottom. The would-be thieves cant get a grip on the round head, and the rod holders, or downriggers won't slide over the top. I've done this for my rod holders, and downriggers so it would be very difficult, and obvious if someone wanted to take them off. They would sure have to work for them. And if they're stealing to begin with they're too damn lazy to work for anything.:grin:

I think im gonna do this but with reg bolt heads that i can get off easy. The bottom will be in my locked rod locker so they would have to break into that along with having right tools. Might just do wingnuts on one side for easy on off. This will allow me to still take off easy to go tubing and such. Thanks for the help guys.

I think im gonna do this but with reg bolt heads that i can get off easy. The bottom will be in my locked rod locker so they would have to break into that along with having right tools. Might just do wingnuts on one side for easy on off. This will allow me to still take off easy to go tubing and such. Thanks for the help guys.

I would suggest the nylon inserted locking nuts. They won't vibrate loose like a wingnut might. That would really suck. I'd just carry a socket wrench with the right size socket should you want to take them off. JMO.:thumb: The carriage bolts are round on top so you can't get a good grip on them.

I would suggest the nylon inserted locking nuts. They won't vibrate loose like a wingnut might. That would really suck. I'd just carry a socket wrench with the right size socket should you want to take them off. JMO.:thumb: The carriage bolts are round on top so you can't get a good grip on them.

These are just for the end caps. Everything else is bolted down very well. Went with 2" SS carriage bolts and this took about 5 minutes. Even if the wingnuts fell off the bolt would have to come up 2 inches. Thanks for the help guys. I feel much better about my eq now.:D

• 3 weeks later...

Another thought is what I am going to do this spring is to install a solar powered motion light above my boat parking spot at home.Hopeing this my stop some wouldbe gas or equipment thief.

Do you have electricity near your boat? I've never had much luck with solar lights working for very long, and they don't seem very bright. I know it's not the "green way" of doing things, but I'd wire an electric motion light if you can. Reliable, bright, and IMO last longer. Just a thought, make sure your sensitivity is set right or the light will come on every time the wind blows a branch or whatever.