Flasher as an attractor off the rigger.

Do you think it would be a good idea to run to run just a flasher off each of the rigger balls as an attractor and then run a spoon 20-60ft back or do you think that is too much junk in the water? It seems like it may have a tendency to tangle dropping it down.

Joseph I don't think that would be to much stuff in the water. I have never tried doing this but if I did I would use short leads of the for the flashers, like 5' to 10', then use a stacker release 5' or more above the flasher. Sounds like a good idea, I may have to try this next year the days I don't have a full boat.

KJ, if the flasher was run with a 5ft lead off the ball and stacked a spoon 5ft above the ball on a one color swr that would put the spoon almost directly behind the flasher about 50ft back. Do you think that would be too far back? Sounds pretty deadly to me.

guys have been using the ball as a attractor for many years from running different color balls to putting attractors above the ball I think Mike was doing one a while back. the issue with putting a flasher behind the ball is lots of us use fast riggers now so it would be tough to avoid tangles putting it down. I even spent a bunch of time trying to come up with a way to slow my riggers down at least on the way down. Back when we were limited to 2 rods it was not uncommon for guys to put a lure and snubber on the cannon ball and use it to catch fish and have a rod above it.

KJ, if the flasher was run with a 5ft lead off the ball and stacked a spoon 5ft above the ball on a one color swr that would put the spoon almost directly behind the flasher about 50ft back. Do you think that would be too far back? Sounds pretty deadly to me.

I would think your lead length is going to depend on the mood of the fish more than anything else from day to day. For example, during the hot morning bite I would run the spoon much closer to the flasher, maybe just 5 to 10' past the flasher. As the sun comes up and the fish become more spooky then the longer leads may be a better setup. You could even try a 2 or three color swr to get the spoon below the flasher and cannon ball.