Hooks

I believe a lot of fish are lost because of hooks that are not sharp. Who sharpens their hooks or changes them out? If you are changing them out, what brand of hook are you using? If you are sharpening them, what are you using to sharpen them?

Just went out on hitman charters last weekend. The same question was asked.

No they dont sharpen hooks, they use Gamakatsu.

They claim they are the sharpest, but they can also be straightened out by a fish as well..

Have changed and will continue to change my spoons out to Gammy Siwash hooks. I fished with trebles recently due to rules of the tourney and almost every hook fell out of the fishes mouth when netted.

My single hooks usually need to be taken out with pliers.

I use a hook file to sharpen any that need it.

Use the thumb nail rule when determining if hooks are sharp. A sharp hook with scratch your thumb nail. With no pressure on the hook, drag the point across your thumb nail. If it scratches it, then its sharp! If it does not leave a mark, sharpen it or change the hook.

If the hook falls out of the fishes mouth in the net it could be a couple of things. The hook did not penetrate(dull hook), or the hole where the hook went through got enlarged. The enlarged hole could be a result of the drag being to tight. The next time one comes off in the net, check the fish and see why it fell out.

Some say fish come unbuttoned during the fight because of the leverage created by the extra hooks on a treble hook. This is why some will switch to a single hook.

If it scratches it, then its sharp! If it does not leave a mark, sharpen it or change the hook..

I'm very picky when it comes to hook sharpness.

IMO,a hook isn't sharp enough until it wont slide across your thumb nail.

Even the chemically sharpened hooks(Owners,Gammy's,etc)can do with a touch up.

The chrome hooks that come on alot of baits require a different touch.

Light pressure with a fine hone(4 or 5 strokes towards the hook eye),just enough to remove the chrome off the hook point is often all thats required.

I always check the hook points as soon as the lure comes out of the package.

Heaven forbid I see someone send a brand new lure down without the thumb nail test.......:no: :no: :no:

100% of my spoons get new hooks.

I was running Eagle Claw 777's. This is a 4x straight point treble that with with stand Jaws himself, your cant bend one let along straighten one out.

However, I recenetly switched everything to single hooks. I cant along better hook ups and storage sure is alot easier as well. No one tangled mess in the spoon box, I thin I can fit another 100 in there now!

Dave

100% of my spoons get new hooks.

I was running Eagle Claw 777's. This is a 4x straight point treble that with with stand Jaws himself, your cant bend one let along straighten one out.

However, I recenetly switched everything to single hooks. I cant along better hook ups and storage sure is alot easier as well. No one tangled mess in the spoon box, I thin I can fit another 100 in there now!

Dave

dave what single hook do you use?