Rod Setup

this is how i fish when i have smaller crews

6 rods - two downriggers, two divers, and two boards (regular, leadcore, or copper depending on where the fish are) to start. adjust according to whats working.

9 rods - add a third downrigger and two more boards. again adjust according to whats catching fish and whats not.

Edited by killerbe20
addition

6 rods for me is 2 riggers with sliders on them 2 wire divers and 2 boards with core or copper depending on the depth. Actual setups can vary a lot depending on conditions. I seldom run 9 rods I usually set 8 and use the 9th for change overs and and in case we see something we are not covering. 4 guys in the boat will have 12 rods out but again I only go to 14 for 5 guys I guess I prefer even numbers of rods. Every boat boat fishes different so you have to tune for what works for you.

It really depends what time of the year it is, but a easy clean 6 rod set is; two riggers, two divers, and two long lines.

This was our 6 rod summer spread.

Last year in the West Mi Fishing League, we where limited to 6 rods. When we set up before light we would use 2 riggers and 4 divers. As it got later in the morning, we would pull one set of divers, and put out two long lines (32# copper lines on boards). As it got later yet we some times would even pull the riggers and add 2 more long lines.

Riggers with glow spoons are very productive predawn, but cores, and coppers still shine during the mid day. Divers produce all day.

My 9 rod spread would be:

2- riggers, 4- divers, and 3 long lines.

If you only have 2 divers, than go with: 2-riggers, 2-divers, and 4 long lines.

What you use for the long lines depends on the water temp.

Mostly it's 2 riggers, 2 divers, 2 long lines. When going to 9 it varies depending on the bite. Mostly we will set 4 riggers 2 divers and 3 long lines early, then switch to 3 riggers and 4 long lines. Been trying to convince my guys that sometimes 4 divers would be key but they can't see how to deploy with out tangles.

In the early morning I only run 6 lines even if I can run more. The action is usually fast enough to prevent additional lines. So I do 2 riggers with sliders, and 4 divers. As the day progresses I drop my 2 inside divers and add 2 long line. If 9 lines I add 2 more long lines and 1 shallow high line with a body bait on it, this most of the time will take a steal head.

For those of your running 4 divers, how do you get them all out with out any tangles? How far apart are they? Also on the long lines, how are you setting up your boat for these planer rigs? Just wondering if I need a mast system or just where to put these rod holders on the boat.

6 rods - two downriggers, two divers, and two boards (regular, leadcore, or copper depending on where the fish are) to start. adjust according to whats working.

9 rods - add a third downrigger and two more boards. again adjust according to whats catching fish and whats not.

same here with the exception of the third rigger(only have 2)..also depending on dipsey bite i may add one

For those of your running 4 divers, how do you get them all out with out any tangles? How far apart are they? Also on the long lines, how are you setting up your boat for these planer rigs? Just wondering if I need a mast system or just where to put these rod holders on the boat.

I run one at a 1.5 and the other at a 2.5 setting. When you set them out just set the rod on the correct side of the diver that is already out. Example: If my low diver 1.5 is out, I would keep begin letting my high diver 2.5 out in front of the low diver (Towards the front of the boat) and very slowly let line out letting the high diver begin swimming away from the boat. Once I know it has cleared the low diver I set the drag a little loose and let the diver pull its self out. Vice Versa, If my high diver is out and I want to set my low, I begin by starting behind the high diver rod and begin letting out the same way as the high diver. The key to divers is too always keep them pulling. Don’t let them free spool or spool very fast. As long as you keep them under tension and working, you can work them very easily.

I agree on diver deployment methods mentioned earlier. For long lines such as cores and copper, triple rod trees from Great Lakes Planers have made deploying multiple long lines much easier on the two boats I fish on regularly. In-line boards are better for running different depths than a mast system IMO. Mount them on your gunnel forward of your diver rod holders. For deploying them, I let them out down the center and let them back far enough to clear anything inside of where they will run before engaging the reel and letting the board pull to the outside.

Exactly the same for me. No better way to find out what they want and then add more of that.