What's your favorite laker fishing method?

Everyone claims lakers are nasty unless somked, WRONG. the trick to frying a laker (even the big ones) is to remove the skin first and remove the fat layer under the skin. remove the lateral line. then pan fry in breading. The trick to frying we learned in the late 70s is to get the oil in the skillet hot enough to light a wood match when it is dropped in. Deepfryers typically dont get hot enough. when it hits that temp start fring your first batch. the hot oil will cook the fat out and you are left with a great tasting piece of fish for dinner. Bortells in ludington used to fry your fish for you and they had one fryer dedicated to frying lake trout that was hotter than the other fryers jsut for lakers. That was before Mr. Bortell passed and his son Chris took over.

if you have ever had a 20# laker on a wire rig you will be amazed at how hard they fight. I will take every one I can get especially at tournament time.

copy that!

i LOVE eating lake trout! I love them smoked, grilled, fried, boiled......

they actually make an awesome fish boil. they will never replace a whitefish boil but the next best thing for me!

Finally, some love for the lake trout.

Lots of guys are of the mentality that its a king or nothing. Well, I do target lakers quite often and with the right gear they are a dependable relatively easy , relaxing species to fish for. I love those flat calm days on the lake in June and July when the salmon dont cooperate and break out the laker gear. Its a relaxing sort of fishing. I really enjoy it.

I used to travel out west on hunting trips at the end of Sept. and used to cross through the Michigan UP on my way. I always stopped at some of the fish markets along the way, smoked whitefish and lakers! My favourite fish. Mmmm good!

• 3 weeks later...

If any of you fish Lake Superior you will know that salmon are a real treat. Lake trout are the main targets because there isnt that many salmon and the ones you catch are small. I was lucky enough to win the Lucky 13 fishing contest that was hosted by channel 13. The contest went on thru the entire summer. I wown the Salmon class w/a 10lb 10 oz salmon. Was on Tv and won some nice prizes. The fish was caught in 133' of water. Very rare to catch nice Salmon in LS. Its a long haul to Green Bay for Salmon. So we learn all the tricks to cook the lake trout. They are awesome when your hungry and 17 miles from shore in the winter. A little butter and tinfoil and everuone is happy.

I'm so happy to see a thread that appreciates the Lake Trout fish we have in abundance in our Great Lakes. It makes me smile, cause so much negativity and condescending attitudes prevailed with this prize fish for so many decades. Hey, you guys ROCK! You know how to catch them, and how to prepare them for the table too. Thanks for a great thread and ample examples of what many miss out on in our fishing history and legacy for the future of Great Lakes Fishery for our sons and grandsons. Many thanks to all that posted.

I won't pass up lakers on any trip :thumb: I run a gost brushed or green frog dogger 10' behind the ball and a spin-n-glow funky chicken or bumbo-bee 20" hand tied behind dogger, drop it down to bottom hit twice and bring it up a foot and grab the rod:D thats if I have big hooks on the bottom, I've run spoons also same set-up in the pro-king turnments just put a split ring on the spoon and make 20" leader out of 30# mono with good snaps on each end :thumb:, if the fish don't want to go change the speed and direction most the time rods will dance,

This is the size of peanuts (wobble glows) that I usually use. These are 3/4" long but can use the 1" also. As you can see the top right one has caught many a fish and the paint is peeling off and has since been retired from service. They may be small in size but sure can catch some nice lakers.

021-1.jpg

I am in the process of coloring and tying up 150 Wobble Glo rigs for my father-in-law who fishes for lakers back in New Jersey. Also made him 30 or so custom cowbells as well. His fish normally run just a few pounds but he and his buddy are looking for that elusive teen size fish or greater

Back in NJ, it was wire line rigs, lead balls, cowbells and peanuts(Wobble Glos). The bottom of the reservoir that holds lakers is littered with trees, old foundations, tons of fishng line and gear, so using riggers is out of the question. Those lakers hug bottom and wire is the most efficient way to get them to hit. It was nice to see Worden's Lures finally put their Wobble Glos up on their website for online sales.

Now I just need to get a few for myself and give those early season lakers a try.

I got a 12lber last year on a flasher and fly, which is my biggest laker to date, but I'm sure there are some reel monstors out there.