June Fishing (Milwaukee) and DEEP water

2011 will be my fourth on the big pond, and the previous years June has been the most frustrating month so far. I usually start in April and stay close to shore and fish for lakers (all released), May is about cohos and a few kings, June just sucks... I was wondering where and what people are pounding for fish....

Part Two: Deep Water

After the floods of July I deserted the pack of boats that stayed between shore and 125 FOW and went deep, approximately 13 miles of shore to the 290-320 FOW range. I was fishing in the top 50' of water and in August and September I had several limit trips out there catching bows and cohos. I wonder if the fish are out there all year... A buddy of mine who was formally in the coast guard gave me some pretty detailed maps and this year I want to fish the mid lake reef complex.

Back in June we did fair , what I can tell you is that we were not out that deep.

Early in the year ,June uptil the floods in July, we fished from 70 to 120 feet.

After the floods and the wind we fished mostly in the 50 to 60 ft. When the lake straightened out we were fishing back out deeper in 90-160. Towards September the bite moved either in the gaps if you were there at the right time or out deep 280-320ft . Hope that helps.

Adam, June is the toughest month on the lake in my opinon. Going deep is a good idea, just be careful out there, you will most likely be all alone. The other option that might work is fishing Racine, the fishing is WAY better in June there, than in Milwaukee. The other thing that helps is fishing for whats available. Some days if you want to have a decent catch and Lakers are what's biting you got to fish them or go home with 3-4 fish. Fish hard and when you find them stick with them. A double during the June Lull is worth spinning on to me.

For us up in Sturgeon Bay June was our best month last year catching lots of mature kings. SB is a bit different with the bank reef but we were picking up fish from 80 down to 160 FOW.

When you say bank reef what are you referring to? Would I be able to figure it out on a chart?

Try this it worked for me. Last summer I could not catch a salmon to save my life mid summer. I started launching my boat at 3:00 am and heading out. I went to the first drop off 75 fow and dropped lines 35 down and 20 feet back. Just put a couple of green dolphin double glows on the riggers. I could not grab poles fast enough. Every time that I did this I slammed the salmon. Until about 5 am I was the only boat out there.