Are these wire and copper combos a good deal?

BRIAN0214

I want to upgrade to wire and copper this year. I don't want the hassle of looking for rods and reels and then buying the wire and the copper. So I found a store near me that sells combo's with rod and reel and already spooled with copper and wire and backing. Are these decent for the price? How much cheaper could I do it myself? I am just a weekender fisherman trying to have some fun fishing. I don't need to have the "great" gear, but I don't want to get ripped off either. The price seems to be fair. Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Okuma wire line combo with line 8 1/2 ft $159.99

Package includes

Okuma 8 1/2 ft roller rod BD TR 862 MH

Okuma Convector 30D counter reel

75 yd 30# dacron backer

600ft Mason 30# wire line

Okuma Copper combo with line 9 ft $149.99

Package includes

Okuma 9 ft rod CPM 90M

Okuma Convector 55L reel

150 yds 25# Berkley Big Game backing

300 ft Howie's 45# copper line

30ft 20# Berkley Big Game leader

The prices are fair, and the eqp. is good quality. 300' of 45# copper will go down close to 85'. There are a lot of times you do not need to be that deep. Like you stated "I am just a weekender fisherman trying to have some fun fishing". 45# copper is not user friendly.

300' of 32# would be easier to handle, and get you to the 60' range. Even last year with the warn water, we got a bunch of fish both on our 250, and 350' 32# super.

I am putting together a copper combo deal for the Grand Rapids show. It will consist of a 6'6" Gator Glass rod with large diam. stainless boat rod guides in a spiral wrap, and have my bulletproof handle with aluminum reel seat. I will fill an Okuma Convector 55L with backer, leader and Blood Run Copper and install it for $205.

seems like fair prices to me.

retail on a 55L is about $100 and 300 feet of copper will be about $30, leaves $20 for the rod and the rest of the line.

A 30D retails for about $85 and the BD rod is about $75, there is your $160 without any of the line.

Granted this is based off of retail prices. there may be better deals out but i prefer my local shop when ever possible, especially if it is a place you frequent often.

I am putting together a copper combo deal for the Grand Rapids show

or a familiar Great Lakes Fisherman! :)

Edited by killerbe20
addition

I think the price is pretty good on those combos as well, but personally I would like them set up a bit different. On the wire I would rather have 1000' of wire, and I would like a bit more backing on the copper and a shorter rod. With that said both these combos will work for you, just a matter of personal preference.

I won a 225 copper reel this year at the B4K that had 125 yards of backing. So I ran it down the chute in the way of everything as I didn't want to eat up some of that backing putting it out on a board.

I had three fish on it this year, two assumed kings and one steelie. Every last one spooled me. Lost each fish as I ended up with the drags buried playing tug of war with two wraps of line left on the spool.

Thanks for the info guys. I assume your not suppose to clip the board on to the copper just like your not suppose to with lead core. Will the board clip damage the copper too?

I would not suggest clipping the board onto the copper. I have never tested it but I could imagine that the spot where you clip on the board would get very weak.