Depth of 100ft of #45 copper

I'm sitting here trying to figure out what I can spool on my new to me CT 30, and got to thinking maybe a short copper. I'm thinking 100ft. I looked at all the charts I could find on copper depths and came up with an average depth between 30-40 ft. What do you think? I know some of you run sections of copper and was wondering if you could narrow the window down some. My troll is usually 1.75- 2.0 mph.

If you have a killer setup for short coppers, that you are willing to share, I'd be interested in that too. :rolleyes::grin:

Hang in there, spring is right around the corner. We get more daylight everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

Wow! I wasn't even close. Are those for #45 or #30 copper? I've hit bottom in 80 fow with my #45, so I figured half of that would be 40ft. Then take another 50 ft off and bring it 10ft or so. I didn't think it would bring it up to 20 ft but ok. Thanks for the info.

I think 30 to 40 would be a pretty good ballpark number for 45# at slower speeds. There are a lot of variables that will change the depth that you copper is running. Speed is the main factor but currents and bait will also change things. I did not have much luck on my shorter coppers last year, but I was primarily targeting fish that were much deeper.

All coppers have different sink rates blood run opti howie atommik not all the same . Leader lenght what pound leader spoon paddle fly dodger fly spin doc all different Iuse 45lb copper from a-tommik 2.2 is 20 to 22 down www.Atommik go to catalog find his copper .

I do agree, but I don't think the difference is as drastic as everyone thinks. I'd venture an edjuma-cated guess that the difference in tighter wound copper vs looser wound would only be a few feet on a 300 rig at best.

I ran a 125 & 175 of 45# CU last fall with good success. I went with the figures of 7-9' down per 10yards of line out. So 100' of copper I have figured to be between 23.333333' - 30' down. I figured my 125' @ 29.167' - 37.5' down, and 175' CU @ 40.83' to 52.5' down.

100' / 30 = 3.333yards x (7 to 9') = 23.333 -30'/

I do agree, but I don't think the difference is as drastic as everyone thinks. I'd venture an edjuma-cated guess that the difference in tighter wound copper vs looser wound would only be a few feet on a 300 rig at best.

I agree with this statement. there really isn't that much difference. I do like the tighter twisted stuff atomic opti and morgans as it is easier to tie an albright with it.

Interesting chart at 2.0 it starts making 13ft every 10 yds and ends making less than 6ft for every 10 yds added but at 3.0 it starts making 8.6ft for every 10 yds added and ends up making over 11ft down for every 10 yds added. So how does the last 60ft at 3.0 nearly double the depth increase of the last 60ft at 2.0?

Don't forget that what you run for lures has a huge impact on the depth. A j-plug will dive and easily run a good 10 foot deeper on a 100' Cu than an 8" flasher/fly combo. A standard spoon will affect the depth the least. I run 30# Cu, and I find that my 100' rig runs about the same as my 7 color lead with the same lures on it. Standard spoons at 2.2 I usually figure about 25' down. Awesome rig to run at first light for me.

Interesting chart at 2.0 it starts making 13ft every 10 yds and ends making less than 6ft for every 10 yds added but at 3.0 it starts making 8.6ft for every 10 yds added and ends up making over 11ft down for every 10 yds added. So how does the last 60ft at 3.0 nearly double the depth increase of the last 60ft at 2.0?

To me it seems like they were hitting different layers off current as they went down in the water column. I think it would be very difficult to get an accurate depth curve due to all the factors that come into play.