Promising Lake

Fished a new lake yesterday in Livingston Co. Didn't yield much of a catch, 3 fish, 2 keepers all gills. One of the keepers was a DANDY. I say it's promising because the vex was lit up from the time we started until the time we finished. So a question for any of you ice anglers.... With the great numbers of fish on the vex and the lack of action, what do you do to trigger a bite? I changed lures several times, changed bait selection as well. Is it possible the weather had shut them off? I had them coming up 8' off the bottom to check out the presentation, but that's about all they would do, check it out. Maybe different conditions will yield a different catch down there. Hoping to get back over there next weekend.

Ive seen this a lot this year, what has worked for my is to get one to come up , then when it is almost there ,keep jigging and pull it away Very slowly. Normaly they will bite after it is lifted about 2 inches, the key is to "NOT STOP JIGGING" they will bite as you jig..

Similar experience last year. I finally found what they liked, I was using long red tailed plastics tipped with a red spike on a red jig. Took me forever to figure it out but when I did it was sure fun. Might want to try some plastics?

Also I agree with Terry, my deadsticking this year has not worked one bit, constant jigging for me as well.

This has been the toughest ice fishing season I have had in years. Can't put my finger on it, but I believe that it is the fronts coming through every couple of days. We need some stable weather to get a good bite going.

Blue Chrome and perch jigging raps have been a homerun this year. Other then that ive had some good luck with wax worms as well. But the Jiggin raps are were its at. Saginaw river caught 33 walleye in 2 hours but only 3 keepers... it was action tho. =)

I'm getting a little warmer out there. Found the deepest part of the lake @ 45FOW, jigged 5'-12' off bottom with tear drops, forage minnows, smallest tiger jiggin rap available, using minnows/heads, wax worms, spikes, mousies and wigglers. A lot of fish on the vex again today, still kind of slow. Going to try again next weekend

Some other dude stopped at the shanty on his way out, and then again on his way back in with a monster fatty pike!

100_4092.jpg

100_4093.jpg

Have enough for a small meal.

Hit that lake again for the afternoon bite with a crew. Indybleck and a couple other degenerates met up for some fun. Setup right close to last weeks spot, fish immediately. Didn't show any favorite bait, everything was taking hits. They were biting pretty good for a while, and then they just quit. The vex loaded up with marks and the fish stopped biting. Fished until about 630PM, kept 13 with these all close to 10". The venison chili hit the spot!

100_4118.jpg

100_4117.jpg

fishstix:

100_4121.jpg

Nice bag of fillets there. Noah and me had a great time and I think Noah is hooked on fishing small lakes, you can't beat having a line in the water 15 minutes after leaving the truck. The venison chilli was just the thing to warm up too, great stuff Jason. We're going to do it again thats for sure. Thanks for letting us tag along.

Tom

Glad you could join in on the fun. I've heard from others that fish that lake as well that it is a very good lake to fish. Hopefully with a few more trips under my belt I can find some other fish there too. I know there are perch and gills along with big pike in there too. Dude pulled one last weekend that was easy 15#s. Just like anything else, the more you go the more you know. I do know where the crappie are. Frustrating to have the screen lit up like that and no action. Seemed there were some really good "solid" marks while cooking the chili, and after that it was a bunch of green marks with yellow in the mix, but it was solid 15-20' of marks on the screen....just wierd. I am definitely going to get Ashley out thereone of these days with the right conditions. Hope to see you out there again. Oh yeah, pulled in all 3 shanties at the same time with no issues, love it when things are easy like that:thumb: