Brad's cut plug

a lot of guys use them over here on the wisconsin side. i have not had much luck with them personally, but really did not give them much of a shot. i have been told they work the best when having 3 or more in your spread. again i do not have much experience with them.

there are not a lot of guys that i know of fishing real meat rigs over here so i do not know how they compare to fishing meat rigs.

Yeah, that's those nasty things that leave the scent of Herring on your fingers for three days after you use them, plus, you gotta run them back about 600' to get results. I'll leave that to the customers to reel in, 2 football fields of line is stretching the length a fish needs to be caught on in my opinion. But, I did like the video of the Columbia River catches. Thanks.

Yeah, that's those nasty things that leave the scent of Herring on your fingers for three days after you use them

That is the one reason I don't like cut bait. Also when you leave the cut bait in the boat for a few days:eek:

600'?? Not true! My best set-up for these was run with NO flasher, on the SWR rod, just below the rest of the spread. On lake Superior, a "Watermellon" Plug, 40" behind a White Spin Doctor, and all of it 20' behind the ball. They were also great for early spring Coho up here, run behind 1-5 colors of leadcore off the boards.

Definatly worth a try!! We caught tons of fish on these last year, from Lake Trout to Salmon and from Lk. Michigan to Lk. Superior. They caught fish while run behind a flasher and while run clean with no flasher. They caught fish while packed with herring, tuna, sucker, and nothing at all! They caught fish behind riggers, divers, and lead core.

They flat out catch fish! Our 3 biggest fish last year came on stannard Meat Rigs.....the next 5 biggest all came on a Brads Cut Plug (Shamrock)

For Lakers, packing them with sucker meat is the ticket! For Lake Michigan Kings, Tuna is the ticket!(Especially for guys who dont like their hands to get smelly....even thougn they are fishing?) Tuna packed in oil works the best, and for about 10 bucks you can get enough tuna to last all summer, and if you dont use it all at once, you can just make a sandwich with the rest!

I dont mind my fingers smelling like herring....it makes it easier to explain to people how I caught the winning fish of the weekend :cool:

Great report Captain John. Your results were considerably different than mine.

I ran them essentially the same way you did, with and without flasher, riggers, lead core, SWR, and dipsies, and caught very little. However, and this is a big HOWEVER, I had read somewhere that anchovy paste was a good filler, and that's what I used.....nasty smelling stuff I might add.

Good thing I didn't throw the Brad's away, but I was tempted. I'll have to try again this year with the stuffing you suggest.

Thanks for the report.

Mike

My partner (I won't mention any names) pulled one of these out mid day when everything died and loaded it with tuna fish and I was LMAO. Gave him crap the whole time, he set it down near the bottom and within 10 seconds down the rigger released and it was fish on. I "accidentally" shook that fish off behind the boat as it was an undersized laker anyway.;)

He sent it back down and in under 30 seconds it hit a fish again. Landed a laker, sent it back down, and then nothing. Need to do more testing, but I must admit it worked. We ran it clean off the rigger 20' back on the deep rigger near bottom in 130 fow.

I, by no means, am saying these are the next greatest thing. Just another peice of tackle to play with. Like many other things, they take some time to get used to and figure out before they become very productive. Throwing one in at noon one day for a 2 hour soak and then giving up on it is not the way to do it! Work them into different parts of your spread to see what works best.

I used them in my spreads alot as the "oddball" bait. If I was running a full spread of spoons for Steelies, I would stick one of these right in the middle of all the spoons. Flashers/Fly or Meat rig spreads for Kings....a clean Brads plug right in the middle of all of it, and usually just below. Quite often, the "oddball" bait is the hottest of them all.

Another plus for the plugs is the work at pretty much any trolling speed. Weather I am cruising around in search of Steel at 3-4mph, or draggin one just off the bottom at 1.5mph for lakers, they have a great action all the time, and are leaving a scent and particle trail in the water the whole time.

After lots of playing around, my favorite "filling" for Kings is just plain Tuna in Oil. I also add a couple teaspoons of minced garlic to the mix :secret:

--Hey Mike...

On Lake Superior next year, mash up some fresh sucker meat and pack a few of these full of it. Put them about 40" behind a White Spin Doctor, and send it down, about 25' behind the ball. :thumb:

I am not a charter captain or expert, but why would run something 600' back? As far the cut plugs I love them, the wonderbread cut plug packed with tuna in garlic oil reduced the salmon population nicely this year. I had more luck with tuna than herring, and I ran the plug off a dipsy with no flasher. I would recommend cutting down the leader they give you to about half though.

They cost $8, live a little and get one, they catch fish on days when nothing else seemed to work.

Thanks for making this thread. I have never seen one of these before. I will be adding 1 or 2 to my tackle box for sure. I found a video on you tube that I think would be very helpful for all of you who do use them. He's a charter captian who rigs them differently than they are packaged.

Edited by GLF
embedded video

We run ALOT of meat when the sun is high. Its usually 4 divers with 11inch paddles with meat. Two out downs get 8 inchers with mean with out a teaser, the shoot gets a 11inch..then copper/core gets 8inches with meat. Is it kind of pain in the but? yea but hey it catches fish and i can complain....i might try to thro one in next year behind a flasher.

I just toss the foam away when using meat inside of it. You dont really need it anyways, the scent is coming from the meat, and the foam is just a pain in the a**.

Another note... I buy these "unrigged" because they are much cheaper that way and I can set them up the way I like them. If you get them pre-rigged, be sure to take the stock treble hook off and throw it in the garbage!! The worst factory hook on any peice of tackle I have ever seen! Slap a nice Owner Treble on instead and you'll be good to go!

I ran the shamrock with tuna and garlic oil out of south haven this summer. Had it out two or three times, but did take a nice king everytime I put it out. Usually in the mid-day period. Just picked up two more at cabelas and plan to use them more this summer. I only tried them clean behind dipsy's.

We just picked up a few pair of these, can't wait to try them out in the spring. The city chicken meat rig did really well for us last year, so hopefully this will be another area of improvement. Still haven't limited out yet with a 2 or 3 man limit on the south end of the lake, so we're hopeful this will be the year ;)

• 2 months later...
Tuna in Olive or veggie oil??

Are you asking which to use? If so:

My friend mark ran them last year. I have been trying to find the tuna with garlic and cant seem to find it anywhere. So i called him and asked him where he was getting it. What he bought was the cheap tuna in oil at walmart. Like 80 cents a can. He had heard from a charter that is using the tuna in olive oil with garlic. We cant seem to find it in the ludington (where he is from) or grand rapids area so he just added a teaspoon of jarred minced galic to it a couple days in advance of fishing with it. He seems to like running them in the middle of the day so i bought some to try this year and am going to follow suit with what he did.

You can buy garlic powder or garlic oil and doctor it up yourself.

Never seen the garlic oil before. where would you find it? That may even work better then the jarred stuff.

I thought of powder also but it really doesn't have much scent that why i was going to follow suit with the chopped garlic in the juice.