Adding a gimble butt to a rod

Hotdog71

Has anyone done this?

I have a few of my leadcore rods that like to spin in the rod holders when the boards are bouncing in the waves. I was thinking of trying this to prevent my reels hanging upside down. It's silly, I know, but it bugs me. Any advice? Will it work? Potential issues?

Did you pull the caps off the rods to see if they aready have a gimble butt, my okuma wire rods do . It shouldn't be very hard if you have to put them on either. Just make sure your rod holders have the pin in the bottom.

I have the same problem. Nothing major but does bug me. I run all Traxstech rod holders and I don't recall having a pin in the rod holder. Have to check in spring when the boat comes out of storage. Always wondered why the Okuma rod butt looked the way it does when you take off the caps. If I leave the caps on it won't fit in the rod holder. Never to old to learn.THANKS

Bob,

I would be happy to help talk you through the process of adding gimbles to your rods if you choose to go that way. It isn't hard if you follow a couple simple steps. The gimbles are pretty cheap ($1 for graphite, $5 for aluminum), then all you need is some fiberglass mesh tape and some rod epoxy. The only negative to the gimbles is that while fighting fish, they tend to dig into your stomach, and after a long day of hot board rod action, you will have a sore spot the next morning LOL!

Tony Childs Eyefull Custom Rods

Bob,

I would be happy to help talk you through the process of adding gimbles to your rods if you choose to go that way. It isn't hard if you follow a couple simple steps. The gimbles are pretty cheap ($1 for graphite, $5 for aluminum), then all you need is some fiberglass mesh tape and some rod epoxy. The only negative to the gimbles is that while fighting fish, they tend to dig into your stomach, and after a long day of hot board rod action, you will have a sore spot the next morning LOL!

Tony Childs Eyefull Custom Rods

Its worth the pain!!!:thumb: