wire dipsey setups

Planning on adding 2 sets of wire to my program this year. I am planning on purchasing Convectors, Any suggestions on reel size, type and amount of backing, and the amount of wire? I would rather set it up myself than buy the pre set up combos.

Thanks!

Planning on adding 2 sets of wire to my program this year. I am planning on purchasing Convectors, Any suggestions on reel size, type and amount of backing, and the amount of wire? I would rather set it up myself than buy the pre set up combos.

Thanks!

I would use the cv30lc convector and 1000' of wire. Blood run tackle offers the wire at a great price. http://www.coppertrollingwire.com/?cat=14

I have 47 series sealines, alittle 30lb backer and 1000' of wire fills the reels right to the top. JR'S tackle wire rods if you don't like rollers and shimano if you do. The sealines have tuna tom power handles and have put up with a ton of abuse in 5 years and are smooth as silk yet.

I would use the cv30lc convector and 1000' of wire. Blood run tackle offers the wire at a great price. http://www.coppertrollingwire.com/?cat=14
I agree with the Sniffer , Convecter 30d, NO backer ,and 1000 ft of 30# Blood Run 7 strand stainless wire.This is what ive been running for a few years now and have never had any issues.

copy that!

i have been using daiwa inline rods for my wire for seven+ years. best rods for wire i have ever used. never any issues with the two line guides from the wire.

I agree with Pioneer.........I sent a few GL47's to Tuna for drags and power handles and I can honestly run them side by side with any Tekota and they're ever bit as smooth plus I have a better gear ratio. I do have one Older Daiwa 27lc with 20lb wire on it and it works pretty darn well also for what I paid for it. Never pulled a mag diver with the 20lb test, but it pulls a normal diver with a mag ring with no issues. I have used backer if the wire doesn't completely fill the spool. On GLA Hondacat will tell you, and I completely agree, to check the 'timing' of your wire vs where the levewind is- it makes a whole ton of difference.

I like the Daiwa 47's...1000' of 30# wire fits perfectly. I also use their 8'6" Heartland Roller rod. Have had great luck with that combo. Added the power handles this year and whatta difference they made. Also, tunas drags are off the chart!

approx. What's the cost for a new drag/rebuild for a reel from tuna? I have about twenty okuma reels I would like rebuilt. Trying to decide whether to send them to tuna or okuma.

Josh, you can call him and get a quote. The drags he uses are much better than the manufacture uses.

You can order and do the drags yourself, or send them in. They are easy on the convectors. When Tom dose a repair/drags, he goes through every part of the reel, and fixes any worn part. If you want, he will disconnect the auto engage that convectors have. He adds a line pin to all the reels he work on also. I believe it's in the $30 range.

Tuna Toms web site.

• 2 months later...

Ok guys.....I had to go back for this one but based on THIS post I bought 3 spools of Blood Run wire to run on my Okuma Convector 30D reels. I see most say no backer is required but how exactly ar you attaching the wire to the reel?

I believe someone told me to wriap the wire around the spool once and then use electrical tape to secure the wire to the reel. does this sounds right? If so might the tape cause uneven spooling or gum op the lower portion of your wire?

Any assistance you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.

I'm switching this year from the Monel to the standed wire and my father-inlaw just made out with my two Monel wire setups. Thanks again all.

Here was Blood Run's response when I wrote them:

Our recommendation is to put 50-75 feet of mono backer on the reel first, then tie an albright knot to the wire, and spool the rest of the wire on until the reel is completely full.

Make sure you apply tension with your fingers or to the wire spool itself, and reel at a medium pace, when spooling the wire onto the reel. It is best to not stop reeling during the spooling process as you can lose tension on the wire and cause it to backspool and kink. Once you start, keep going at the same pace until you are finished..

Fuguring out backer ALWAYS sucks because i ALWAYS seem to have to adjust my backing from the original length I cut...regardless of how i try to figure out the length properly.

Thanks again all.

Here was Blood Run's response when I wrote them:

Our recommendation is to put 50-75 feet of mono backer on the reel first, then tie an albright knot to the wire, and spool the rest of the wire on until the reel is completely full.

Make sure you apply tension with your fingers or to the wire spool itself, and reel at a medium pace, when spooling the wire onto the reel. It is best to not stop reeling during the spooling process as you can lose tension on the wire and cause it to backspool and kink. Once you start, keep going at the same pace until you are finished..

Fuguring out backer ALWAYS sucks because i ALWAYS seem to have to adjust my backing from the original length I cut...regardless of how i try to figure out the length properly.

Thanks again all.

This is how I would do it as well. I have done the tape trick in the past and it worked fine but I would rather have a short segment of mono.

It's been a while since I did my last wire lines but I'm pretty sure I just did electrical tape with an arbor knot (I know I direct tied somehow). But another recommendation is, the first time out, hook up a 1lb ball, let almost all of the line out and then reel it in again to get it on the spool properly. -- Bud

http://www.animatedknots.com/arbor/index.php

Did you get the drags and power handles?

Nailer, If you are asking me, I run my wire on CV30D's. That said, Tuna did about 4 of my Daiwa 47h reels that I use for short cores two years ago and I did go with the power handles and drag upgrades. Highly recommended and Tuna does great work.

-- Bud

EDIT: Never mind, by your other posts on this thread, I'm guessing your comment was directed to someone else :thumb:

Just to throw some more confusion on this thread. I just opened a brand new Okuma CV30D to replace the drags and guess what - really nice carbon fiber drags. They were installed dry which is fine and some people prefer, but I greased mine and put it back together. Hard to beat this reel for $65.

-- Bud