Spring fishing- Late April/Early May- G.H.

I know my spring fishing experiences are very limited and I really struggle. I usually get my boat in the last week of April/ first week of May. The shakedown down cruise has been a success in that the boat dosen't sink and we make it home with no issues. Is it because Grand Haven just dosen't have the fish at that time of the year or do I just need a better plan? I run a two-man setup of 4 short cores off inline boards and to riggers. I've run everything from cranks, sticks, flies, spoons, and j-plugs. I've run the riggers high, low, long and short with no takers. I usually start shallow and work deeper tring dirty and clean water. I'm at a lost and looking for somemore insight.

What do you guy's run as your spring setups?

In early season the southern end of the Lake (St Joe) So.Haven usually have a good amount of Coho but the best is the Browns. Run Flat lines with body baits or clean small SS spoons in silver red or silver blue combos run the boards in close to the beach while keeping your boat just over the second sand bar off the beach the browns are up there chasing minnows. If you want Coho run a couple of 000 dodgers in red or orange with coho candy flies down fm 5 to 10 ft over 12 to 20 FOW. Slow and try spreading your long lines out farther using Hot n Tots or my fav is the old Tad Polly in copper red herring bone sides it kills both Coho and browns. For up around GH the Browns are there and they can be caught really shallow just like the lower part of the lake.

Good luck and Happy fishing

In late April to early May I run out to 60 fow and set a spread of all spoons, starting with a 7 and 10 color on one side and a full and 12 on the other,{or a 150 thru 300 copper} and 2 riggers with fixed sliders.

Also point the bow south south west and dont turn around till you hit Holland . You should find fish some place just north of Port sheldon all the way to Holland ps. its only 11 miles to Port Sheldo from Grand Haven.

Or pond the beach for browns with small spoons and bodiebait.

But I like plan a better.:thumb::grin:

Personally the head south is not a bad plan except there is little structure to hold fish there so while it would be your better troll direction I would run NW a few miles and setup to run south from there. I would run up to the 9's setup in 60 to 80 ft and troll south with mostly large spoons and Plugs. Perhaps a big flasher fly right off the bottom. Other than that I would pound the beach for Browns but I like doing that and I would still start with a run north and troll south watch the water temps and look for some breaks. One of my best boxes came in early May fishing 60 to 80ft in the 9's on a south troll. If you troll there much you will see why.

I am curious why you just run riggers and leadcore. Both catch fish but have you considered cooper or dipsys?

If fish aren't high in the water column, then go deeper. I recommend the little blue boy fly, I dont like body baits, I would put down blue and white glow spoons. For example run some moonshine dancing anchovy, blue flounder, and JJ Mac Muffin.

If your gonna fish in the spring make sure you have an arsenal of red and black Brads Thin Fish! Other hot setups have been orange and gold spoons and natural looking spoons like black and silver, in small sizes. Peanut flies pulled a few inches behind a small red dodger can also be hot.

Thanks guys. Still interested in other thought if you've got them.

Jim(1Mainiac), what/where is the 9's?

Adam, I have run dipsies a couple time but without success. Most of the people I have talked to about this have said that the flat lines were the best options. I haven't got deep enough to run my coppers, I only have 300ft, no short sections. Well, three springs and nothing in the boat. Thanks for the ideas.

the farther south you at that time of the year the better you will do the brown fishing is not what it use to be up by you board diver and riggers all will work use smaller spoons and fish top to bottom as the water is perrty much the same temp top to bottom dont be afraid to go out deeper some times in the spring the fish will sneek by out deeper oranges greens and blues work well at that time of year very your speed till you find what works and stick with the trool and you will do alright

Yes go north and stay out of Holland! :D

I run as many high lines and 1 thru 5 color cores as I can.

Rogues,Rapalas,Jointed Rapalas, Brads Thin Fish and spoons.

Usually Inside 30fow and mainly inbetweeen the sand bars or in the muddy water in front of pier heads until around end of May(depending on how things warm up or stay cold).

My main target in the early spring is Browns. There is a small window of opportunity to catch them and its during that time of year so take advantage. Also not uncommon to find Kings,Coho,Steelies and Walleye in that close.

One other thing to consider is the water tends to be alot clearer that time of year. 12lb. to 15 lb. test, and look for surface temp. breaks.

Thanks guys. Still interested in other thought if you've got them.

Jim(1Mainiac), what/where is the 9's?

Adam, I have run dipsies a couple time but without success. Most of the people I have talked to about this have said that the flat lines were the best options. I haven't got deep enough to run my coppers, I only have 300ft, no short sections. Well, three springs and nothing in the boat. Thanks for the ideas.

Center set of numbers in your GPS north coordinates roughly 6 miles north of the GH harbor. Is part of my shakedown cruise and have never been skunked yet in the big boat on a shakedown cruise that I actually had fishing gear on the boat. My game plan would be flat lines and 2 and 3 colors and drag the beach going north then move out to 40 to 60 ft or more and run deeper stuff headed south till you are done for the day. Odds are this will put several fish in the box and have you back at GH in under 6 hours you could cut it back and only run to the 07's which would shorten your trip. I also would pay attention to water temp as it should be pretty much the same top to bottom so look for changes in surface temp and if you find a good temp break fish both sides of it.