Wanting to buy new Down Riggers

I'm looking to up grade to electric down riggers this next year. I currently have a couple of big jon manual DRs that I picked up for $50.00 several years ago that I like a lot, but I want to be able to run bigger balls to get down deeper if the fish are out in deeper water like they were this year out of South Haven when the water temp in close hit 80 degrees.

I was wondering who likes what brand and why?

I have Big Jon Pro Tournament riggers. I run 15# weights and have fished 125'+ down with no problems. The autostops are a great feature. A set of the Brutes would be nice but I haven't been able to justify the cost when the ones I have work so well. I like BJ's because they are all aluminum and located in Michigan. Plus the customer service is second to none and they are big promoters and sponsors of our sport, both through big tournaments and smaller events.

I have some old Cannon electrics that came with my boat. If I was going to upgrade I'd go with Big Jon. Big Jon's service is second to none and, Lord Of The Riggers, a site advertiser has always gave our members tremendous deals on Big John equipment. I have some Big Jon Multi Set rod holders on Priority1

I'm looking to up grade to electric down riggers this next year. I currently have a couple of big jon manual DRs that I picked up for $50.00 several years ago that I like a lot, but I want to be able to run bigger balls to get down deeper if the fish are out in deeper water like they were this year out of South Haven when the water temp in close hit 80 degrees.

I was wondering who likes what brand and why?

Cannon makes a nice downrigger as well. They're built like tanks, and are fast. I have two Digi-Troll IV's on my rig, and I'm adding a Mag 10 this season to run down the chute. I run 14# balls in the Summer with them. All the major brands (Cannon, Big Jon, Scotty, Walker, etc.) are good units I guess it pretty much boils down to what you're familiar with, your budget, and features desired. Good luck.

Thanks for all of the advice.

I plan on getting a closer look at all of the various brands at the Detroit fishing show this month and will more than likely purchase at the GR show in March.

I’m leaning towards either the Scotty's or Big Jon Brutes right now. My buddy has run his Big Jon captain packs for more than five years now without any issues.

One of my main goals is to be able to get down deep and since you need big balls to go deep, I’m looking for something that will handle the bigger balls.

Thanks Daybreak (John) I never considered looking at the power draw and good to know that you guys are successfully using your Scotty's down deep on a routine basis. I also like the lighted depth readout on the new Scotty’s. Not the biggest consideration, but it sure is a nice feature.

“You need big balls to go deep†sounds like something good to put on a tee shirt.

Thanks for all of the advice.

I plan on getting a closer look at all of the various brands at the Detroit fishing show this month and will more than likely purchase at the GR show in March.

I’m leaning towards either the Scotty's or Big Jon Brutes right now. My buddy has run his Big Jon captain packs for more than five years now without any issues.

One of my main goals is to be able to get down deep and since you need big balls to go deep, I’m looking for something that will handle the bigger balls.

Thanks Daybreak (John) I never considered looking at the power draw and good to know that you guys are successfully using your Scotty's down deep on a routine basis. I also like the lighted depth readout on the new Scotty’s. Not the biggest consideration, but it sure is a nice feature.

“You need big balls to go deep†sounds like something good to put on a tee shirt.

LOL!:thumb:

Haven't had any experience with Big Jon's, but I've read posts on other sites that they had problems with the booms breaking with big balls in rough conditions. This has strictly been through word-of-mouth, and various posts. Just wanted to throw that out there to see if others had issues with them too. Personally I go with what I've ran for years, and feel comfortable with. Kinda stuck in a rut so to speak. :0)

I have big Jon Brutes that I bought from Lord Of The Riggers. I run 15lb balls and have fished them 300 down. The only problem with the Brutes is the ball holder is designed for 10-12lb balls. I take mine off every trip because they fall out of the holders while running. I fish rough water and have no issues with the booms. I have fished with Big Jons on my last three boats. I like the simplicity of the units. The fact that they help with tournaments and the availability of the product. No battery draw while the boat is sitting in the slip. If I were to buy something different it would be Vectors. They are faster.Vectors were not available when I bought my Brutes last spring.

i have run the big jons for years.i did break a boom once,due to the boom not being screwed in all the way.called big jon and they overnighted me one at no cost.i am going with new riggers myself this spring.going with the brutes or a set of ciscos.

I been running big jon electrics for 22 years still all original equiptment and I have run 12 lb balls for the last 10 years. I havent had much of a need to find out how the customer service is (knock on wood) I do know my stickers got real faded out about 10 years ago I called the company they sent brand new ones for free they even paid for shipping.