Best Time in the summer for a trip out of Manistee

propman

I'm going to have my boat docked at Manistee, this is my first year salmon fishing,so I need some advise on timing. My son lives in Florida and I want to have him fly in for a week of fishing, in the spring the weather can be a big factor, and could keep us on the dock. so I'm thinking the summer is the best time to have him come up. Any advise that anyone has would help me out. I only have a 21ft. boat, so weather is the big question. Thanks propman

Take a few paltry bucks and go out with a professional charter fisherman. The time and money are well spent, for the few days you have to fish with your son from out of state. You can always make the first or second day with a pro, then go out on your own later during the visit, with his expertise in your hands. You may just have an outing that could last a lifetime and give you invaluable information and locations to boat your own cooler full of salmon. Tight lines.

To go with eds post if you want to go with a charter make a reservation now they do go really fast that time of year...of fish the the charter as a high light end of the day trip...i do know a few good capts in manistee(Killin Time 3) and thats not cuz i work for him:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Take a few paltry bucks and go out with a professional charter fisherman. The time and money are well spent, for the few days you have to fish with your son from out of state. You can always make the first or second day with a pro, then go out on your own later during the visit, with his expertise in your hands. You may just have an outing that could last a lifetime and give you invaluable information and locations to boat your own cooler full of salmon. Tight lines.

I do agree with this method. Let the captain know what you are doing so he will explain what he is doing. That way you can duplicate everything and produce fish. Most captains are more than willing to tell you what they are doing in this situation.

Way back when, when we started we did this. We asked as many questions as possible, colors, setups, etc. The next day we did really well, we got advice we would have never gotten. I would definitely suggest booking a charter.

Don't let Ludington slip by you either. A lot of Manistee fishermen, including charters, run south to Big Pt. Sauble for their fishing trip. Why? Because it has long since been known as the King of fishing spots along about 60 some miles of lakeshore. Why? The structure and temperature breaks along this area are phenomenal and can almost always be quite productive. Ludington has long since been known as the most productive port on West Michigan's shores, per the DNR stats kept for about 25+ years on fish catch reports. The main thing is, have fun and enjoy the lake's bounty.

Don't let Ludington slip by you either. A lot of Manistee fishermen, including charters, run south to Big Pt. Sauble for their fishing trip. Why? Because it has long since been known as the King of fishing spots along about 60 some miles of lakeshore. Why? The structure and temperature breaks along this area are phenomenal and can almost always be quite productive. Ludington has long since been known as the most productive port on West Michigan's shores, per the DNR stats kept for about 25+ years on fish catch reports. The main thing is, have fun and enjoy the lake's bounty.

I agree with Ed here %100. Ludington is a nice town with great fishing.