alluminum boat rivit repairs

My 18' sea nymph has several loose and leaking rivits I have silconed them and also used a 3M brand epoxy stick nothing seems to stay on long. Wondering if anyone has used the bullfrog rivit repair kit or has any suggestions

I had a customer and friend last summer whose Starcraft Islander had been leaking like a siv for several years. He just kept ignoring it pulling it on and off the ramp several times a day if necessary. I warned him in vigor to get that fixed and quit tempting fate. I believe he went to a welder that could put new rivets in properly. Call a few local welders that can work on aluminum and see what they say. Thanks boomer.

Is this a LOWE sea-nymph by any chance?

Had the same problem with mine for quite some time. After 5 times of the dealer and myself not being able to fix it we ended up sending it back to Lowe. Turned out to be a problem with the gas compartment being to large.

I have a 69 starcraft holiday and had simular problems. With the floor already out we put a 5lb hammer tight on lower hull while we taped from inside, worked on most but had a 3 inch area that had a slow seep to it. I picked up Water Weld at auto parts store and applied it to inside seam and never has it leaked any water. WaterWeld is a putty with a hardener in center you roll amount needed in hand till you feel it get warm then apply it as needed.The great thing about this stuf is it can be applied underwater or inside boat even if aluminum is wet it cures in 15 min and dries hard as steel. I also have a 14 foot rowboat we bought this summer that someone had done a bad repair below water line, I removed old caulking and applied Waterweld from inside and outside and a small amount of water on finger to smooth it as it was setting up and it cant even been seen up close after we painted boat.I keep an emergency container in boat just in case its ever needed out on the water. Cost is about $5.00 cant get any better than than that.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies I cant get at the back of the rivits without totally disassembling my deck and sides becausehe the brilliant engineers put a gas tank in that is too large to fit through the deck opening in the center of the floor, I hope welding the rivits wont effect the gas tank directly above them

Just wondering if it might be the oversized gas compartment thats causing your rivets to pop like with mine?. I know they ended up having to downsize the gas compt. and then installed bigger rivets..so far so good (knock on wood). I know what your going through is rough believe me. Good Luck

I've never used the Bullfrog system. I've watch the installation video and it makes sense. You don't need access to the backside. Jeff Miller from Traxstech spoke at our last SU IL meeting. He had the product with him and spoke highly about it. :thumb:The videos I mentioned can be seen on their web site and the product bought there if you can't find it local.