Multiple divers off each side?

I am planning on setting up two more divers (wire) next year as my divers this year accounted for nearly all my "large" kings. I currently only run two braid divers and the setups are Talora 9'6" rods with Tekota 500LC reels. I have already purchased two Tekota 600LC reels for the wire but am torn as to what length rods to get. I am planning on getting Talora rods once again in the medium heavy weight but should I get shorter, longer, or the same length for the rods. Should the inside ones be shorter? I have been on a friends boat and all diver rods were the same length. Any thoughts? Thank You and have a Merry Christmas.

They can be the same length but I like my inside divers to be on a shorter rod. I have a 8.5' wire on the inside and a 10' wire on the outside. Love wire. I also have a 7' roller for my diver rod down the shoot, charter secret here in sturgeon bay.

I like the outside rod longer, but you can use the same length. Have done both and prefer the longer. Easier IMO to reset the outside diver rod. I run the Daiwa Heartland Roller Rods in 8'6 and then a pair of braid divers on the outs that are 9' 6". Works great. My Rod holders are 12" on center and i run the outside rod slightly higher than the inside. That way theres no chance it could ever get into the other rod.

I would say get 10' 6" Talora's. It will allow you to go with longer leaders if need be and you wont have to go to the front of the boat to net the fish.

Then switch the wire diver reels to the 9' 6" Taloras, and have your braid set ups on the 10' 6".

As long as you are bringing up leaders-I increased all my leaders last year to 12 feet, even on my 7' taloras down the shoot. Divers have never been so hot. Learned the trick from a bunch of Lake O. guys on another site. They ran some 18'ers and used a leader man to net. If you run with 3-5 guys in the boat try it, me likey.:)

As long as you are bringing up leaders-I increased all my leaders last year to 12 feet, even on my 7' taloras down the shoot. Divers have never been so hot. Learned the trick from a bunch of Lake O. guys on another site. They ran some 18'ers and used a leader man to net. If you run with 3-5 guys in the boat try it, me likey.:)

I may have to try that, how heavy of leaders do you use for your dipsies?

Kyle, all leaders are 50lb so you can grab it and hand line in with no worries. 40lb would work well too I suppose. I use just plain Big Game, same stuff on my fly leaders. Probibly the biggest reason my per trip average in june and july was over 15 before that august swoon we had. Give me a shout next year, planning 4-5 trips. White Baha 277GLE, Pioneer is my handle, staying at Quarterdeck.

I run 3 dipseys off each side when the lake is less than 3 foot waves. .

Three a side???? How many tangles do you get with them?? I fish two per side alot and get tangles hear and there its gotta be worse with 3 oh and what size divers are you running and the setting?

My boat is setup for 3 divers per side seldom run them but can if need be. Usually only do it on harbor patrol which I try to avoid to begin with but my harbor patrol setup is 9 lines 2 riggers 6 divers and a 5 color off the stern. If we are hitting fish the 5 color goes back in the cabin. What I run is 2 wire divers 124 Walkers on 1.5, 2 107 Walkers on 2.5 on braid and 2 Slide divers on on mono. Inside the basin I keep everything between 15 and 20 ft down the divers add width and very few issues doing it.

Hmm, talking about divers, I know a Charter in Sheboygan, Wis. that only uses divers all around the boat, no riggers or lead. SorryCharlieSportfishing. com I believe. Randy is quite a fisherman too. He also mfrs. and sells the slide divers direct and has samples if you ask politely. Tell him I sent ya. Thanks.

We run 2 wires on each side when it's a "King" bite. We use Daiwa Heartland diver rods. One set is on the 9'6" diver rods and the other is on the 10'6" diver rods. I'd love to get the Heartland 8' roller rod and give 3 wires a shot, but on Lake Ontario we are only allowed 2 rods per person, and we love our coppers! We like the separation we get with the different size rod, but I think we would do just fine with both sets running the 9'6" rods. I know Billy V uses the 9'6" Heartland for his high and low divers and doesn't have any issues.

Most tangles with Dipseys happen if you do not drive straight and when setting lines out. I use a slide diver set on 4 no ring. Next rod is a number 1 set on 2 with or with out ring. Inside rod is magnum with a ring. I usually only have a tangle if someone lets one out too quick. Let the diver pull to its place and let the drag slowly let the line out. Catch alot of fish on the way down. If you fish any tournaments long leaders are not legal. You can not hand line fish on the tournament trail. If you want a long lead run slide divers. Just my 2 cents.

Hmm, talking about divers, I know a Charter in Sheboygan, Wis. that only uses divers all around the boat, no riggers or lead. SorryCharlieSportfishing. com I believe. Randy is quite a fisherman too. He also mfrs. and sells the slide divers direct and has samples if you ask politely. Tell him I sent ya. Thanks.

He also runs planer boards that are bigger than most peoples' bed frames.....they run some different stuff down there, and alot of them are just using pump handles.

• 2 weeks later...
What are your thoughts about running standard rods with twilli tips with wire? Will this work or would it be better with a roller rod. I Usually only fish 20-30 days a year for salmon.

Twilli tips are just fine.

when we first though of trying it, the captain i was working with at the time called daiwa and they said they would back their product.

eight - ten years later they have held up incredibly! only the two line guide eyes and they have never shown any signs of wear. they are the only rods i have ever used for wire since i started chartering seven years ago. actually the only rods i use except for long core and copper.

Might consider them for wire never thought of that had a set years ago problems with mono and braid sent them to a yard sale fast. The Sea Fleas killed em for braid and had very poor luck with mono thru them. Don't remember if they were the same rod they were white and I hated them.

we actually started with some cheaper white ones, not sure the brand but they were not daiwas, hated them. switched to the daiwas and have never gone back! the biggest problem i have with them is the cotton wood in the early summer. that can be a huge pain. all the advantages of inline rods definitely out weighs the few issues for me.