Trolling Flies...Bulky or Sparse???

So I've tied up my first 50 or so trolling flies and like I stated before I tie my flies fairly large and bulky.

In speaking to others out there, most say they prefer a very sparse fly for trolling. A friend just sent me two Big Weenie flies, very nicely tied BTW, and they are significantly thinner than the flies I have created.

Now why I'm still confident in the flies I make, I'm just curious if you guys prefer bulky or sparse flies for trolling king salmon?

dsc04158.cmp.jpg

That is something that may change day to day but I generally like to use a sparse fly. I had a few flies last year that had just a few strands of mylar left but always seemed to catch fish when I put them down. Here is one that got a lot of use last year.

img00088.jpg

I tie my own as well. Some are made with flashabou and are normally longer and bulkier. They have their days. I also build them from banded mylar, and they start out thick and end up pretty thin. They seem to whack the fish the more they get worn.

I am in the sparse camp. My "thick" flies start with only 3 1/2 to 4 inches of mylar total and when they get down to about 1/2 the strands they get hot. I make my own and my go to flies are the ones that have 2 pieces of 1 1/4" mylar and a 3/4" piece of rubber skirt. Very sparse looking out of the box and I believe it helps my catch. Very few times have they wanted a big thick fly, for me anyway.

I seldom use more than a couple of inches of banded material the UV glow fly I took the pics of had 3 different materials each was roughly 1.25 in of banded mylar. The materials are blue UV mylar, ultra glow mylar and Halo silver fishscale. I will disclose where the head and beads came from as soon as they are available as I was told not to let anyone know where I got them just yet. I will say they have more than 10 times the amount of glow material in them as any on the market and are custom made for a friend. When he knows how many he will have to sell and final cost they will be disclosed sorry.

That is something that may change day to day but I generally like to use a sparse fly. I had a few flies last year that had just a few strands of mylar left but always seemed to catch fish when I put them down. Here is one that got a lot of use last year.

img00088.jpg

Jeeze looks like the top of my head.

I seldom use more than a couple of inches of banded material the UV glow fly I took the pics of had 3 different materials each was roughly 1.25 in of banded mylar. The materials are blue UV mylar, ultra glow mylar and Halo silver fishscale. I will disclose where the head and beads came from as soon as they are available as I was told not to let anyone know where I got them just yet. I will say they have more than 10 times the amount of glow material in them as any on the market and are custom made for a friend. When he knows how many he will have to sell and final cost they will be disclosed sorry.

Jim if he doesn't quit telling everyone about the new stuff everyones gonna know anyways. He was braggin the other day to me about the new beads and heads. also some other top secret stuff. which he probably told you. I wont say anything either as i am sworn to secrecy right now also.

Well I looked over my flies last night.... My mylar flies have a lot of material on them and should push water and definitely be seen by those chinooks. My earlier flies were tied with thin flashabou and glo flashabou, which made for a thinner profile. I'll try running both and see what the fish prefer.

To be honest I believe a bait fish but it is the size and bulk that makes them look like the prey they want at that time. Advice: a secret is not a secret if you tell someone!:grin: Mr. Weenie, it will all work out. Love your stuff. Chris

Sparcity or bulk? Good question, never gave it much thought. Much may have to do with the clarity of the water, speed, depths, and type of rod being run. I do know that many of the Big Moes will tear most flies to pieces after boating only one or two fish. And that 50-60# test is a winner. As for the glow beads and heads that are 10X higher in glow, that sounds like an excellent source, longevity will also be an important factor with glows too though. Beautiful work all the same pmjasper. Keep up the good work.

Telling a bunch of fishermen to keep a secret may be the best form of advertising there is LOL. The way trolling flies were explained to me years ago was that the flasher was supposed to look like a fish hitting or missing a small bait fish or piece of bait fish. The idea is to trigger a bite by making the fish think he is stealing a meal from a smaller fish. This would explain some of the explosive hits we get on them.