Trolling Flies...Bulky or Sparse???

6" inches of material is about all you need (Thats what she said).

I also believe that the color AND profile of the beads might have a little more to do with getting that fish to strike than the actual fly material itself.

I get alot of calls from guys and thought I was just talking fishing and was excited to let guys know we worked our butts off this year to make something that guys have wanted for years. No big deal they are talking about it but I wouldnt say "Bragging" was a good choice of words. Any one that deals with us know we are pretty good to deal with. I would post some pics but me and computers just dont get along so well. If you go to our forums you can see the glow pic, these were our new heads and another co heads. They were exposed to the same light at the same time and the pic was taken at the same time, nothing doctored at all.We will have 8mm beads, bullet heads and bait heads in some great new stuff. If you dont want these to glow this much dont charge them as long or charge them before you launch your boat. Once made you cant go add glow:) we will put a bunch of pics up under new on the website this weekend. Merry Christmas guys hope these rock the fish for you, BW

I get alot of calls from guys and thought I was just talking fishing and was excited to let guys know we worked our butts off this year to make something that guys have wanted for years. No big deal they are talking about it but I wouldnt say "Bragging" was a good choice of words. Any one that deals with us know we are pretty good to deal with. I would post some pics but me and computers just dont get along so well. If you go to our forums you can see the glow pic, these were our new heads and another co heads. They were exposed to the same light at the same time and the pic was taken at the same time, nothing doctored at all.We will have 8mm beads, bullet heads and bait heads in some great new stuff. If you dont want these to glow this much dont charge them as long or charge them before you launch your boat. Once made you cant go add glow:) we will put a bunch of pics up under new on the website this weekend. Merry Christmas guys hope these rock the fish for you, BW

ok sorry bragging wasn't the right word to use. I know you make a great product. i have been using the for a few years now. and i cant wait to get my hands on some of the new glow stuff.

I guess at least here it is not much of a secret I got some advance samples of BW stuff. I have been using glow heads and beads for years and to be honest most of the ones I had in the past had a very dull glow at best that did not last long often making me wonder if it was still glowing once it was even set. When I got these I thought cool another glow head and beads but once I lit one up the difference is huge. While I am still not 100% sold on how much glow causes fish to bite I do know that if it causes them to come and take a closer look even if they pass on the glow they might hit on one of my other baits. Much like running plugs and meat rigs there are times they don't catch much but they do draw in fish so they improve the chance that you will get fish. And if you can think of anything you love to hear more than the sound of your wire diver screaming you are likely on the wrong website LOL.

OK Aaron You are banned from ordering any until after Christmas. :) We spent thousands on molds so we thought why go low on the glow. We were thinking Moonshine spoons. I remember when they would always be the first thing in the morning and last at night on the boat. I got to think of the guys fishing deep these will rock. Merry Christmas guys and check out new products on our website later to see some more stuff, BW

Thanks guys.

I'm finishing up my leaders and will be tying a bunch more flies within the next few weeks. I don't really add a lot of beads after my flies, as I use crystal chenille to form a "bump" behind where my mylar is attached to the tube, have my rattle which provides a visual and sound stimulant and of course my chenille head with eyes.

I will say I use WAY more material than you guys have on your flies. You guys are talking 4 inches of mylar....I probably use 3 to 4 times that much with the flies I've tied. My next batch will be smaller, more sparsely dressed flies but I'm very curious to see how size will play a factor during this years trolling.

Thanks guys

Phil, these two setups took a bunch of fish last year. The one on the left is a Siggs Rigs Mountain Dew Pulse fly, and the other is a Poofster by Big Weenie.

Two things to note here.

1. They both are sparse.

2, On the big paddles, I turn the fly to run the small way. ( this I learned from the master himself "PlumKrazy")

26" leader on the 8' pro-troll and 36" on the 11" pro-troll

These two combos run off the inside and outside divers where great together.

img_9907.jpg

Poofster, Frosted Willie,Frosted Phil, Frosted Luke, Proctologist all fine cut flashabou flies run with the threads forward were by far the ones the guys I know were using last year on Lake Mi.I know in the water they look like they wont catch fish sometimes but try tying some like this of your own, you will not be disappointed.BW

Poofster, Frosted Willie,Frosted Phil, Frosted Luke, Proctologist all fine cut flashabou flies run with the threads forward were by far the ones the guys I know were using last year on Lake Mi.I know in the water they look like they wont catch fish sometimes but try tying some like this of your own, you will not be disappointed.BW

A close up of the material BW is talking about.

b86g0001.jpg

Tournament tie is a large single snelled in front of a treble and the idea is to get them with the front hook with the treble to grab on during the fight or be there in case the front hook miss's. Personally I got tired of the treble ending up in my net so I went to tandem singles a few years ago. Honestly it is one of the best moves I ever made. I have not however had the same success running singles on spoons it just seems to me the spoon pretty much requires a treble even though it gives the fish a better chance of spitting the hook. Once you get a fish hooked up on one of the singles even the Pro's can't knock em off with the net LOL.

Tournament tie is a large single snelled in front of a treble and the idea is to get them with the front hook with the treble to grab on during the fight or be there in case the front hook miss's. Personally I got tired of the treble ending up in my net so I went to tandem singles a few years ago. Honestly it is one of the best moves I ever made. I have not however had the same success running singles on spoons it just seems to me the spoon pretty much requires a treble even though it gives the fish a better chance of spitting the hook. Once you get a fish hooked up on one of the singles even the Pro's can't knock em off with the net LOL.

Let's not start this one again.:mad::)

Ok I get that , now how many beads would you run with a rig like that. 3-4 . What are the preferred type of hooks to use up front.

i usually run just enough beads to get the trail hook to the back of the skirt but dont let it stick more than an 1/8 past the skirt..just my opinion

I agree Frank 3 years ago my wife and I were fishing and having a great morning I was netting her final fish for a limit and noticed a fish porpoising behind the boat. When I asked my wife about it she said it was cool and it had been following us for nearly a hour. I started grabbing rods and found it was on our Starboard rigger which was stuck so brought up the ball and released it and reeled the fish in for our final limit fish. It had hit a J Plug and the trailer hook was in it's eye so the 8lb king reeled in like a perch literally just reeled it in and netted it. I would have felt bad if it had been a small fish we had to release. That however was with treble hooks. I honestly think the big singles are easier on fish but there is always a chance of the trailer hook ending up in a bad location on any fish.