Gimbal mounts

I would like to set up my Pedestal Mount Base diver rod holders in an existing Gimbal mount hole on my boat. The one I am looking to use is angled out the back of the boat at 45 degrees. I have not seen any one standard product that would work with this. One of my assumptions is that a gimbal mount will hold a couple diver rods with a double or triple pedestal base?

I believe I could purchase a standard Gimbal mount and then a swivel base for each side to solve the issue, but I really have no need for the swivel in this application and would just spending extra cash. It seems like I just need a gimbal mount with the plate welded on the tube at an angle to match that of the boat.

Does anyone know if something like this would work, or is available? I have sent an e-mail to Big Jon to see what they would say and am just trying to avoid more holes in the boat if possible.:no:

Thanks for the ideas - I have checked into fabrication a bit and will probably end up going that way after a bit more research. I just wondered if there was anything out there as it seems like something others would want.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, for anyone else who might be interested, I received an e-mail back from Big Jon with what seems to be a pretty simple fix (even though it may mean holes). When they rig a boat with this style Gimble Mount they pull them out and rotate them so they are straight back. They say that the top plate covers any new holes that might have to be drilled. I still need to take a look in the spring when the boat comes out & if this doesn't work will look to get something fabricated.

Thanks for the reply's - Later

Thanks a bunch for the info, I did check it out yesterday and that is exactly what I was looking for. They are not cheap, but may make sense for a couple other ideas I have been thinking about. At least I know I am not the only one who has been looking for something like this - just could not find it myself:grin:

I have 8 rods sitting in the family room right now that I have stripped of line (with quite a few more to go) and have been thinking about how to improve my set-up for next year from rod lengths, reel/rod combos, placement, line, etc... I am not fond of the length of the Michigan winters, but it definately gives you time to re-tool and re-think your gear. I think it may make me appreciate the time on the water a bit more.

Thanks again!

Look behind my son in this picture. The two diver rods are in a double rod holder that I place in a flush rod holder with a gimbal mount. These are craig rod holders. Is that what you were looking to do? They work okay for me.

Scott

dcp_1851.jpg