Rocket launcher lights

I made a rocket launcher that will fit on across the tops of my trees. I want to put some deck/rigger lights up there. I'm debating between the low draw of a LED v the brightness of the Halogen. As I age, it becomes very difficult to see in the low light, epically when we get a tangle. Will a LED such as the one below be enough (aprox 340 lumen output)?, or should I just go with the standard 55w Halogen?

The Halogens have 4.5 amps of draw per light, and the LED's have 1 Amp per light. Two lights should do me good.

Site location

127757_lg.jpg

I've been thinking about this too since I am going to be adding some lights to my boat. Personally I think I'm going to go with halogens just because I like the light better. LED's are bright, but I've never been impressed with the spread or intensity of the LED lights I've seen. These could be different though.

I third the led suggestion. I have yellow floods and they they work great. there brite enough to see and not so brite to make a fish go insane at the back of the boat. Harbor frieght has them for 14 bucks for a pair. they have replacable bulbs that are like 3 bucks.

I have a set of 500 Lumen LED floods from Sound Off Signal in Hudsonville and they are insanely bright and have a good pattern. I also have several sets of other small LED lights placed in and around the boat the overall effect is way more usable light than I ever had with the 55w Halogens and total amp draw for all the lights is still way less then the halogens alone. At night I can swing the floods off to the side and light up my boards and I do mean light them up I have glow tape on my flags and 60 sec with the floods on them will recharge the glow nicely.

I have a set of 500 Lumen LED floods from Sound Off Signal in Hudsonville and they are insanely bright and have a good pattern. I also have several sets of other small LED lights placed in and around the boat the overall effect is way more usable light than I ever had with the 55w Halogens and total amp draw for all the lights is still way less then the halogens alone. At night I can swing the floods off to the side and light up my boards and I do mean light them up I have glow tape on my flags and 60 sec with the floods on them will recharge the glow nicely.

Jim, It looks like Sound off only sells through distributors? , Did you get them through your work?

Edited by Nailer

I bought them thru the International dealer in Muskegon. They were around 65 bucks each and very well worth the money. I can order more if anyone would like a set just have to figure out the cash and delivery thing but if you call and ask for Sue in parts she will order them for you don't know if you can get the same price as me but I don't have the same job I had so I might not get the same price anymore either. However I can have a friend get them if price has gone up.

How many Lumen does a 55watt halogen put out?

I would rather have a light that spreads it's light out, rather than one that cast it's light far.

The funny thing I found is there is no direct correlation between Lumens and Candlepower they are completely different tests. A Lumen is the amount of light put out and candlepower is the intensity of the light. So 1 lumen at 1 in or 100 yards is the same but distance affects candlepower ie you can measure bulb at 10ft and say it is 200 candlepower but the same bulb at 1 ft might be 50,000 candlepower and at 1in it might be 500,000. This is how most of the spotlight companies get away with their ads yet use the same bulbs and batteries as the other guys. LED lighting is directional however many companies are finding ways to arrange the diodes to give better and better coverage all the time.

Nailer, I have LED's on my Radar Arch and they are smaller, matter of fact they only have 6 Diodes in them, when I turn them on, everyone can see me and what I'm doing, those LED's that are in your pic, are insane, you will blind the fish and light up your secret location, they will work just fine and their spread will be unbelieveable for you without Killing your Battery or batteries.. and Don't look into them... it's going to hurt..

I have been running a pair of 55W halogens on my rocket launcher for a quite a few years. They work well. I think they were about $30 for the pair @ Boaters World. They make quick work out of glowing something up. They sure make a difference setting lines and landing fish. It's still nice to have a light on your cap to read the rigger counters etc. Sometimes you will block the light from the halogens.

• 2 weeks later...
Going to order the under water lights from coastal.DO you have the single or the double? Are the strip lights much of a light producer? Thanks for any input

I have 4 strip lights, 2 white, 2 red and they do more than what I thought an $8 light would do.......I am very pleased.

Championship, do you use those strip lights in lieu of spreader or halogens? If yes, where do you mount them to provide the required light?

I currently have 2 sets of driving lights on my boat, 1 set mounted under the downrigger board and 1 set on either side of the cockpit that light up the whole back end of the boat. However, they use a lot of juice and are awful bright. I've been considering changing over to something better ???? Maybe now is the time.