Best all around book for Salmon fishing

propman

Here Go's the big question? I am knew to salmon fishing, I mean green,green behind my ears, need to find a book for salmon fishing for dummy's . I will be fishing out of Manistee, I need info on rig set up , trolling, different patterns, different kind of salmons, best set for each and best time of the season for each. Give me your best ideas and books Titles. Thanks a lot ,from a greenhorn. propman

I would get Dan Keating's books

1. Keating on Kings

2. I can't remember off hand the name of the other book, but it is more all around trout and salmon fishing on the great lakes and was co-written with Chip Porter

There are some decent DVD's too from Chip Porter and the Best Chance Charters crew (Capts Dave Engel and Bill Bale)

Keating's books are absolutely awesome and Dan is a swell guy. His two books will absolutely get you understanding fishing Lake Michigan and all the intricacies that go along with it.

Oh, also Dan has two DVD's that show you what he's talking about in the books. All four are highly recommended.

Here Go's the big question? I am knew to salmon fishing, I mean green,green behind my ears, need to find a book for salmon fishing for dummy's . I will be fishing out of Manistee, I need info on rig set up , trolling, different patterns, different kind of salmons, best set for each and best time of the season for each. Give me your best ideas and books Titles. Thanks a lot ,from a greenhorn. propman

Also do not be afraid to ask questions here. Everyone is more than willing to help...some info one here from some of the seasoned veterans is just as valuable if not more valuable than books.

A big thing that helps is to get the precision trolling guide. It takes some of the guess work on how deep your lures are running and copper, core set ups.

EDIT-Just saw this in the classifieds here!

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20391

Edited by SPOONWASHER
Added Info

Richard finish filling out your profile. Keatings boos are very good, but it's best to get to know guys that troll your ports.

Dan Keating fishes the west side of Lake Michigan. There is more structure over there, so some of his structure fishing techniques don't apply to us west Michigan port guys.

All the books and gear in the world won't beat learning how to fish a area from someone who knows the area go on some charters where you want to fish and get together with some of the guys here who fish where you do. Every port has it's own patterns the key is learning them and factoring in the weather changes and how they affect the patterns. Dan's book is great reading and a ton of info but find a friend who knows how to fish your area and make him fish on your boat. A lot of things have changed since some of the books were written water clarity changes from year to year even day to day and learning how to catch fish hundreds of miles from where you fish won't help much. I run completely different setups in Manistee then I do in Muskegon head to St Joe and it changes even more.