Winter River Steelies???

My boy was asking me if I wanted to take him steelie fishing this winter with our boat. And I have no idea were to start. Can anyone point me to a good ramp and or section of river to try. He wants cast and run some cranks behind the boat.

So he has since revised hus Santa list for some heavier fishing gear. And I think he has his mother suckered into getting it for him.

My boy was asking me if I wanted to take him steelie fishing this winter with our boat. And I have no idea were to start. Can anyone point me to a good ramp and or section of river to try. He wants cast and run some cranks behind the boat.

So he has since revised hus Santa list for some heavier fishing gear. And I think he has his mother suckered into getting it for him.

Steve, Maybe you can get your son to work on Mom to get some gear you want.:lol: Ya have to play all the angles. :lol:

As far as fishing by boat Steve you will find the most numbers in the Big Man and the St. Joe. On the BM you can fish from the lake all the way to Tippy. There is a good launch at Rainbow Bend and High Bridge. I don't know much about the Joe but I know a lot of guys launch at Shamrock Park and fish that area. If you are just getting started hiring a guide might be a good idea. If you are looking for someone reasonable for just you and your boy I would try Steve Hutchins. Good luck.

Steve, Maybe you can get your son to work on Mom to get some gear you want.:lol: Ya have to play all the angles. :lol:

Mama already suprised me with an auto pilot I don't want to push to hard, I have a pretty good racket going for now.:thumb:

Ok I have not fished it much in years so not a lot of help there if you decide to fish the Muskegon river I could help cut down your learning curve. What is your equipment and tactic plan so far? Lots of options depending on what gear you have, we do good pulling plugs and running float setups but also trow flies and bottom bounce spawn at times.

Try ice fishing for them. If you can get on them and get a few you will not regret it a minute. I use tip ups alot with spawn bags. I think that it is perhaps the most fun way to catch a nice chromer. When the flag flies the action is on. I will be going out on Saturday and Sunday to give it a try. The big marinas down in SE Michigan hold nice browns and steelies in the winter months. In the UP and Northern Michigan you can get them off of the stream mouths just about anywhere that has a little flow to it.

Ok I have not fished it much in years so not a lot of help there if you decide to fish the Muskegon river I could help cut down your learning curve. What is your equipment and tactic plan so far? Lots of options depending on what gear you have, we do good pulling plugs and running float setups but also trow flies and bottom bounce spawn at times.

I planned on casting with my walleye gear 7' MH casting rods and spinning reels (10lbs mono). And working some holes with plugs and spawn on M trolling rods. Hot n tots and wiggle warts and flat fish.

I also need some info on what to get my boy as far as a steelie rod?

Generally I would start at a 9ft medium to light action rod longer is better however some rivers don't let you fish long rods well my go to rods for new water are a 10.5 ft St Croix spinning rod with Okuma bait runner reel. And for flies and Chuck and duck I use a 10ft 8wt that was custom made for me with a Okumq large arbor 9wt reel. I am getting into center pin fishing but have not bought a reel for my rod yet so it also has a Okuma bait runner reel on it now. Honestly if I could catch Steelhead in the rivers all year round I would consider selling my big lake boat. Cause the first time you get a 10lb or better Steelhead on light action gear with a 6lb leader in a fast section of river you will be addicted as well.

I would try the muskegon river between croton dam and the hennyway park in newaygo. The are all sorts of boat ramps. But be cautious the river is shallow in some spot and most guys us drift boat or jets. But it is doable in a smaller semi v boat. I've been goin up there since october and have brought home fish every trip and I wade fishin with floats and spawn. Give it a try crowds are small this time of the year

Been fishing that stretch for decades can't remember a skunk I wish I had a jet sled most days. I have a single pontoon that has made a few trips from Croton to Henning but I usually do Thornapple to Henning in it. The only issue is getting my wife or someone to drop me off upstream and leave my truck at the launch so I have a ride when I get back. I have a small outboard for it but when the river is fast in the spring motor or not it is a one way trip.