Steel and ice?

Ok I heard Steeliebob talking about ice fishing for steelhead... how is this done, and what do I need? Right now I have basic stuff I use for Pike and pan fish. Ice shanty, Power Auger, some tip ups etc. 3 ice fishing poles and small ice fishing jigs... Lay it on me fellas.

Well this is how ive done it on the k-zoo a few times,I use my 9 foot steel head rods and use spawn on a 3 way swivel slip rig .I Take A 2 by 6 about

15" long and mount a pole holder to one end of it, set it 9 foot from the hole and adjust it so the rod tip is just above the ice set the spawn on bottom and watch for the bite.This method takes two guys to land fish, one to man the pole and one to scoop out the fish although you can do it yourself to.There are lots of other ways of doing i bet but this uses every thing i already have so its cheap. Hope this helps. Jimmy

use a sturdier ice rod, 6 to 8 pound flourocarbon. Small treble hook with a sinker about a foot above the hook. Use fresh spawn (preferably from steelhead) set it six inches off bottom. You can use a bobber or not use a bobber, personal preference. Also, try jigging Rattler Spoons, do-jiggers and Rapalas. Also, the tiny Cleos work awesome. Don't be afraid to hit bottom every once in a while to stir up some bottom junk. This is how we do it in Lexington and Port Sanilac harbors for steelies and browns.

I just set out my tip ups with 8# test mono a #14 treble hook and a spawn bag. I mix steelhead and salmon spawn. I let it set right on the bottom and change them up quite often to keep the scent in the water. If the flag does not fly I move sometimes changing locations is the ticket.

Bob, how's landing a chromer by hand with a tip up? I bet it's a chore at times huh?

Fighting a big chromer with a hand line is something few steelhead and salmon fishermen have ever experienced. Let me clue you it will get the heart pumping and you soon forget about the cold and wind. it took me a couple of years to get my rigs right and master the technique. I had alot of frustration at first as I could catch them on the poles but not the tip ups. Now it is not so bad and it is alot of fun.