Perfect Filet Knife

Josey_Wales

A few years ago I was fishing out of Pentwater, and when we came in to clean our fish, some of the charter captains were cleaning there as well. I remember talking to one about the knife he was using and instantly fell in love when he let me try it. It was Large and looked like a machete. I wanna say he said he got it from great lakes cutlery? I just cant remember. Do any of you guys know what I am talking about?

Have you ever watched the real pros fillet Salmon? They will use a long blade straight knife for skinning, but most use a knife with about a 5 inch blade for filleting. I sure don't consider myself a pro.:) Mark, who used to fillet @ Harrisville and more recently @ Manistee uses this method. The knife for skinning is a lot duller than the fillet knife.

Interesting.. what do you mean by skinning? is that the process whereas you remove both sides from the spine? and then the actual fillet process is separating the skin from the meat itself? or do I have this backwards... All I know is, what I saw was speed... greasy fast speed. in the time it took me to type this sentence they would have a fish done, and believe me I can type pretty fast.

Interesting.. what do you mean by skinning? is that the process whereas you remove both sides from the spine? and then the actual fillet process is separating the skin from the meat itself? or do I have this backwards... All I know is, what I saw was speed... greasy fast speed. in the time it took me to type this sentence they would have a fish done, and believe me I can type pretty fast.

You have it backwards. Filleting is removing the fillet off the spie on each side. skinning is laying the fillet flat on a table and running the blade just above the skin to remove it. Forshner is the hook type blade and i use those for hacking the fillets off 9 and 12 inch. then i use a buck 9" in fillet knife, very straight, to skin all my fillets. I also use this same knife to remove the later line fat. It completely changes the taste for the better to skin and remove the lateral line. Dont let people tell you you cant grill or smoke skinned fish. we have been doing it for over 20 years, there are some that say it isn't possible. If you treat the grill or the smoker rack with grilling pam or the new stuff from weber grills(i like this one better) nothing will stick.

I asked for a Forschner for Christmas a few yrs ago and wound up with a wood handled Victorinox 10" blade that would likely cut my boat in half if I got near it. I don't know what the difference is, but I see all my Charter friends using knives just like it.

I asked for a Forschner for Christmas a few yrs ago and wound up with a wood handled Victorinox 10" blade that would likely cut my boat in half if I got near it. I don't know what the difference is, but I see all my Charter friends using knives just like it.

I believe Forschner is made by Victorinox. They are a bad a$$ knife. I love 'em. Have four of them in my boat. Two 10" (one is a deboning knife which is a little thinner), and two 12".

• 2 weeks later...