Auto pilot...

Boltman

OK Here's the VERDICT..... "Once again KING JIm "Mainiac" Is right... the boat has to be converted to Hydraulic steering because no one makes a AP that will handle "cable steering with Power assist"... Raymarine want to have Barrretts install a new Hydraulic steering system before they will sell me the AP unit..

I am getting quotes to have steering converted to Hydraulic and will let ou all know what I hear but i know it's all going to cost about 6K...and it's still worth it to help the wife out, because she's worth it..... Ok am I making you Ill yet..????

I have not fished on a boat with the Garmin yet however I have fished on one with the TR1 Gladiator which is the predecessor for the GHP 10 and the company Garmin bought to get the AP. And it would hold a course back trolling for Walleye. Every one I have talked to said it is the best system out there for what we do. You might check with Frank or Ryan at Calumet Marine they have installed a bunch of them and do nothing but brag about how well they fish.

OK Here's the VERDICT..... "Once again KING JIm "Mainiac" Is right... the boat has to be converted to Hydraulic steering because no one makes a AP that will handle "cable steering with Power assist"... Raymarine want to have Barrretts install a new Hydraulic steering system before they will sell me the AP unit..

I am getting quotes to have steering converted to Hydraulic and will let ou all know what I hear but i know it's all going to cost about 6K...and it's still worth it to help the wife out, because she's worth it..... Ok am I making you Ill yet..????

Simrad USED to. My AP14R is hooked up to the cable steered, power assisted 5.0 L Mercruiser Alpha 1 in my Thompson and it works Awesome. Dang shame Navico in their infinite wisdom decided to discontinue it.

The AP14R was never rated for a 30ft boat with twin outdrives. SI-Tex offers a AP with the Octopus drive which is the unit Simrad used for the AP12 and AP14R units but it is still not rated for that much boat.

OK gotcha, didn't realize we were talking about that big a boat. I guess I'm a little surprised a boat that size is cable steered.

Tim

Robert on the bright side the boat will be worth more handle better than it ever did and your happiness level will go up a bunch. Not sure any of that will catch you more fish but sure will make your life better. As for the price of Salmon I could eat Lobster for less than the cost of my salmon. But on the bright side my wife will have one heck of a yard sale when I am gone.

robert

have you considered doing any of the work yourself? if you break down the simple system of the hydraulics, its not too complicated. a closed system of hydraulic fluid, turn the wheel one way and the fluid goes another, turn the wheel the other way and it returns, very basically. if you can get the parts relatively cheaply, the work is just time. i've seen some of the work you've done! i'm confident you can do it!

Well the verdict is in, and it's going to cost 6875.00 dollars... to install new Hydraulic steering and the Auto pilot complete.... Wow... I'm going to h ave to think about this for a few months...

OUCH!:eek:

robert

have you considered doing any of the work yourself? if you break down the simple system of the hydraulics, its not too complicated. a closed system of hydraulic fluid, turn the wheel one way and the fluid goes another, turn the wheel the other way and it returns, very basically. if you can get the parts relatively cheaply, the work is just time. i've seen some of the work you've done! i'm confident you can do it!

the sea star hydrolic systems are easy to install,took less than a day to do mine.i changed over from a no feedback system and it was worth every penny.

And now Robert knows why I have done 5 years of research on AP's and 3 years of trying to come up with a way to get one on my boat and still don't have one. It is almost easier to trade the boat in for one that already has a AP then to convert it. I have a short list of things I want for my boat however for what it will cost to do it I can trade for a newer boat that already has everything I want. And spending the money on mine won't add enough value to it to make a difference. So as much as I would love to keep my boat and add the upgrades I will most likely trade it in when I get a chance and find the right boat. One thing for me is I want to still be able to trailer it so I can't go much bigger but I have my eye on a couple of Boston Whaler 285 Conquests and they are not that far out of reach.