Short core rods

Ok, It's been 5 weeks since my boat went into storage. Now I'm stuck thinking about next year and trying to figure out what to change that won't break the bank. I decided to take a look at my spread and wondered about my short core rods. My wire rods are 7ft, my copper rods 8ft, rigger and leadcore rods 8.5 and 9.5 ft. I got to thinking that swapping my 2-4 color reels to 10 ft rods would give me a little room in the spread. My dad and I are usually the only people on the boat. On ocassion we will 1 or 2 guests.

First question, Should I switch to the longer rod?

Second question, If I do switch what action rod should it be? M, MH, H?

What do you think, is it going to make a difference or should I spend $$$ elsewhere? Was thinking 3 or 4 rods.

Thanks in advance.

I don't like long rods for boards because it make taking off the boards more difficult. I would prefer to use 7' rods for the boards. For the short cores a medium action rod should work.

Good point Kyle & medium light is what we run on the shorties, but we are on superior with much smaller fish targeted with our shorties:thumb:

I never worry about it when the boat hibernates. Why? There is plenty of good river fishing to be done for steelhead. Then in the UP we have at least 4 months of ICE, Yes Ice Fishing. I am already out picking my spots to set the tip ups up for Steelhead. If I could ice fish for steelhead year around I would never have a boat.

I run 8' Med. TDR's for leadcore with great success. Med Heavy seems a bit too stiff for my liking and 8' seems to be the perfect amount of rod for ample tip seperation with enough backbone to be able to horse a board in across a spread if I need to. I can reach the tip of the rod and take the board off WAAYYY easeir than I can with longer rods which is a giant plus. 7' on boards just seems a bit short to me, but if they work for you- use them.

For copper I had a chance to compare my TDR's with a friend's Okuma's with big wide stainless guides......guess what my next upgrade will be....:rolleyes: . It's night and day for copper.

Riggers are 7 1/2 one piece med light Fugly sticks and they're a blast to catch fish on.