After losing a good rod to a salmon a couple of years ago. Rod reel everything hit the water and took off. I went out and invested in good rod holders, the heavy duty kind that you can plant two feet into the ground. This is why. When I was pulling lines this morning, I was reeling one line in and the other pole took off. It was doubled over in the rod holder and the steelhead was screaming on the drag. The hook was already set all I had to do was wrestle the rod out of the holder and fight the fish. The rod holder did not budge so it did its job. After about 20 minutes I landed a nice 12 pound steelhead. I love these rod holders

These are the type for surf/shore fishing. I don't know what the brand name is but they are 3/8 inch steel rod holders. When you stick them in the ground they are planted pretty good. I have had decent 20+ pound salmon and 10+ pound steelhead try their luck at pulling them out of the ground. They do not budge, the pole gets a hell of a bend in it and the drag screams like a canary in the cats mouth. It just adds to the excitement