What would you choose, Electric Downriggers, Kicker Motor, Auto Pilot....Etc

I have electric riggers, Fish Hawk, Gps/fishfinder and autopilot. At some point I've had to make due without one of the above. The one feature I absolutely cannot live without anymore is the autopilot. I often fish with only one or two other guys on board (or just me and the kids) and the frustration level can ruin a trip without the AP. It seems that many guys just can't get the idea that a boat takes a little while to respond at trolling speeds, and more often than not they will overcompensate causing tangles or we end up in 80' when we need to be in 150' of water.

It seems that everyone tells me they want to go fishing until the night before we are supposed to go, and then my 4 man crew turns into a two man crew. Throw in some choppy waves and a little wind, and two guys trying to drive, rig, and net gets to be no fun anymore. Without AP, my trips would be limited to days that at least three able bodied fisherman can go. So while it is true you don't need AP to catch fish, there are days I definitely won't catch fish without it because I wouldn't be able to go out with just myself and my 7 and 10 year olds. Once you have one, you'll never go without one.

Second would be my GPS chartplotter. Last year I had some electrical and transducer issues. Having the GPS with old tracks saved a couple of trips for me until I worked out the other bugs.

I did the kicker last year and this year it's a probe and if I can get some overtime an AP will follow. If you have good working downriggers especially big jons then your already ahead of a lot of people. I like the added security of a kicker and the speed options it gives you. I couldnt do a steady 3.2 on my main but can with the kicker.

You don't need no stinking AP - you just need another set of hands in the boat to help drive - hint, hint.

I remember a night with just you and me in the boat and we had three kings on all at the same time. We got them all in with no one driving the boat (ya I know how lucky we were).

They say you loose a fishing buddy when he buys a boat. Seems like we just need to coordinate our outings better. Your boat or mine.

I say spring for mine in shallow and yours later for going deep. The rumor is Sea Eagle will fish with big balls this year, with the help of some new electrics. LOL

I would get the kicker simply because of the saftey factor. Saftey over equipment anyday. You might not think it is neccesary but the first time you need it you will be happy you had it. I have had it get me in saftley when something happen to our main engine about 5 times over the last 15 years. If your in rough water with no power you could be in some serious trouble.

I say spring for mine in shallow and yours later for going deep. The rumor is Sea Eagle will fish with big balls this year, with the help of some new electrics. LOL

I see the time of your post today is 7:53AM - you on vacation today too?

I would get the kicker simply because of the saftey factor. Saftey over equipment anyday. You might not think it is neccesary but the first time you need it you will be happy you had it. I have had it get me in saftley when something happen to our main engine about 5 times over the last 15 years. If your in rough water with no power you could be in some serious trouble.

What size kicker did you go with? I want to get one someday, but I'm not sure what HP to get. I want to get one with a remote throttle, and have it tied into my steering somehow, Any suggestions? How does yours handle a 28' boat. Mine is set up almost the same as yours so any input would be appreciated.:)

What size kicker did you go with? I want to get one someday, but I'm not sure what HP to get. I want to get one with a remote throttle, and have it tied into my steering somehow, Any suggestions? How does yours handle a 28' boat. Mine is set up almost the same as yours so any input would be appreciated.:)

075-1.jpg

We got a 15 horse 4 stroke long shaft. On a calm day it will push the boat about 6-7 mph. Never had a day where it wouldn't move us fast enough. It's mounted on a Panther bracket with power trim. We also got the TR1 Gold auto pilot and it works awesome.

Wow! The water there looks so clear with no growth on the bottom of your boat. I see some cabbage floating in the water, but not bad. I slip mine in Lake Macatawa (aka Lake Macatoilet as known around here) in Holland, MI, and by mid season my trim tabs, and waterline are covered in slime. : 0). How productive id the rigger down the chute for you. I've read a lot of negative feedback on running down the chute because of tangles. I'm adding a center rigger this year because there's a lot of guys around here that run them with success.

that picture of russ's boat is from Racine's small boat basin where the launch and festival grounds are. it is the southern entrance in the picture. that and the eastern section of the racine harbor were created by encircling part of the lake.

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/gallery/files/1/7/5/0/racine.jpg' alt='racine.jpg'>

as far as the center rigger, i can not speak for Russ, but i have had great success since switching from four down riggers to three. i actually rarely ever tangle anything because of it. i had much more tangle problems with four downriggers on my old baha.

Absolutely an auto pilot! I pieced my boat together over the years and got the auto pilot about in the middle of the process. I was pi$$ed at myself for not doing it at the beginning once I realized how much more pleasurable it made fishing on the big lake.

1. VHF radio

2. auto pilot

3. etc, etc, etc.....

that picture of russ's boat is from Racine's small boat basin where the launch and festival grounds are. it is the southern entrance in the picture. that and the eastern section of the racine harbor were created by encircling part of the lake.

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/gallery/files/1/7/5/0/racine.jpg' alt='racine.jpg'>

as far as the center rigger, i can not speak for Russ, but i have had great success since switching from four down riggers to three. i actually rarely ever tangle anything because of it. i had much more tangle problems with four downriggers on my old baha.

Yep I'd never run 4 again. I never net fish in the prop wash so it's the best place for a rigger, leaving both corners open to net fish.

Everybodies saying autopilot, but the best tournament fisherman have a guy that never leaves the wheel.

Some of us would like to catch fish now and then, not that I am one of the best tournament fishermen but I did not realize I bought the boat for my friends to fish while I drive them around.

I have a 19 ft boat aluminum ,we were fishing about 3 miles out and engine stalled and flooded. There were 3 to 5 ft waves this day,my boat sets high in the water but I was getting nervous as boat turned side ways to waves. It took about 15 min to get motor running and It was my worst exerience on big water. I immediatly added a 9.9 kicker and was rewarded immediatly. Trolling used to cost me about $35. now its only about $1o , and I have another motor to rely on in case of breakdown.Im so glad Wife wasnt with me when motor flooded as I would never have gotten her out agian! The money I save in gas allowed me to buy more gear and 4 more rods and afford to fish more often.

I have a 19 ft boat aluminum ,we were fishing about 3 miles out and engine stalled and flooded. There were 3 to 5 ft waves this day,my boat sets high in the water but I was getting nervous as boat turned side ways to waves. It took about 15 min to get motor running and It was my worst exerience on big water. I immediatly added a 9.9 kicker and was rewarded immediatly. Trolling used to cost me about $35. now its only about $1o , and I have another motor to rely on in case of breakdown.Im so glad Wife wasnt with me when motor flooded as I would never have gotten her out agian! The money I save in gas allowed me to buy more gear and 4 more rods and afford to fish more often.

this is also a good reason to put drift bags on the boat to help keep the boat straight(attached to the bow)

this is also a good reason to put drift bags on the boat to help keep the boat straight(attached to the bow)

Amen to that Don. If you loose power in big waves drop an anchor or a trolling bag off the bow PRONTO TONTO.

The safety factor of a kicker is a big plus. Saving money????? If you get the kicker for nothing maybe. $3000 for a kicker with controls divided by $15 fuel savings/trip equal a 200 trip payback. Most boats that I fished on with kickers just didn't respond quickly enough in three foot or better seas. They are OK going with the flow.

I hadnt heard of the drift bags off bow...As for my kicker im limited on funds and fish out of a 69 starcraft holiday.. Kicker cost me $4oo ,71 mercury 11o model. Yes its old but fish dont care how old your boat is ..lol I cant give any advice for the bigger boats , but im shure fellow members will lead you in right direction.

I hadnt heard of the drift bags off bow...As for my kicker im limited on funds and fish out of a 69 starcraft holiday.. Kicker cost me $4oo ,71 mercury 11o model. Yes its old but fish dont care how old your boat is ..lol I cant give any advice for the bigger boats , but im shure fellow members will lead you in right direction.

$400 would definitely cut the payback time.

I like fishing old Starcrafts. I have one myself. It's kinda like me, "old, slow, but somewhat dependable".:lol: