What would you choose, Electric Downriggers, Kicker Motor, Auto Pilot....Etc

I would like to make an equipment improvement of some kind this spring. My question is what’s the bigger bang for the buck. I fish out of a 21' Trophy Cuddy usually with only two people sometimes three. Being only the second year my fish catching is only 2-3 per trip. So I am trying to decide what makes the most sense to go after first. Elec Downriggers, auto pilot, speed temp probe, Kicker Motor with digital control, or anything someone would suggest. Maybe I scrap these ideas and focus on baits and rides with others......

Yes, I have manual Big Jons's that get a little old in 100+ water, then have 16 rod and reels with planners and dipsys and two special mate tackle boxes one with 25 spin doctors and fly's and the other only half full of spoons. Plus I have a small collection of body baits and j plugs

You don't "need" riggers, however, I understand how it can get old to manually crank those up. With 2 guys usually autopilot would be a nice addition, yet at the same time, a kicker would be nice to conserve on gas and get you out of a pinch if your main let you down. I would go with kicker motor. Put a 25HP on the back of mine this summer, next year I'll fine tune and try and figure out something for an autopilot.

As far as catching more fish I would personally get the speed and temp probe. I went with the AP first but that was at the wife's insistence. I plan on getting a FishHawk next year. Electric riggers are nice but don't help you catch more fish, the probe does. Good luck.

I'm with Tony on the AP. Especially if you commonly do 2 people (sorry Nick ;))

If you want to get good at Salmon fishing, than a network of friends is you best way. Good information will get you a starting point, and a plan.

We got 120+- fish last year, and the probe rarely (once or twice) went in the water. Learn how to read your divers for speed. A hand held temp probe like this on from Fishhawk will find the breaks.

What area do you fish out of? (finish filling out your profile)

A ride with some one else is also a great way to learn.

Thanks for the location comment, just updated it (Kalamazoo). I just recently joined this website and definitely agree with the friend’s network. I really appreciate all the information shared on this site. I would like to have one or more people join me on my boat or ride along on others to learn more. I am very interested in the temp probe you linked too.

I also just started salmon fishing this year. The best way to put more fish in your boat is to run 2 boards and and 2 dipseys and 2 down riggers every trip out. With 2 people of course. Read the book Keating on Kings. It helped me out a lot. My local library actually has this book. They make a lot of spoons but only a handfull catch fish. Watch the reports on here and see what people are using. If i could afford the auto pilot that would be my choice. It would make fishing a lot less work and more fun.

auto pilot won't catch fish however it is at the top of my list as it will save friendships and marriages. It will also let you fish shorthanded allow you to repeat trolls accurately the hours you don't spend untangling your gear alone will be worth it. It will let you fish rather than try and keep the boat on track. The day I can afford one it will be on my boat. Electric riggers are nice but manuals will help work off the beer you drink while fishing. LOL I have had my SNT probe for going on 6 seasons and use it less and less every year and very seldom is it down for long any more. As for a Kicker I have considered using my 40hp but would have to build a bracket and add the controls and honestly since I troll fairly fast have never had a issue using the main which has a much bigger charging system to keep the rest of the boat working. I have yet to see a kicker that has a charging system big enough to keep up with all the electronics on my boat esp the lights and riggers.

Thanks for the location comment, just updated it (Kalamazoo). I just recently joined this website and definitely agree with the friend’s network. I really appreciate all the information shared on this site. I would like to have one or more people join me on my boat or ride along on others to learn more. I am very interested in the temp probe you linked too.

Keep in mind when trolling out of West Michigan, the current is generally coming from the S/SW. During the most productive parts of the day, try to troll into the current.

So what this means is when you go out in the Am head North and troll South at first light.

As well as try to be on a South troll during last light.

Keep posting and asking questions. Make it known in the spring/summer that you want help, and it will come. there are many here that will help.

I'll be in South Haven for the next 2 days if your around?

I would spring for speed-n-temp first by a long shot. It will double your catch by you finding out what speed and fishing angle best suits your ride and get some nice fast electric riggers this winter then see what else you need.

As far as catching more fish I would personally get the speed and temp probe. I went with the AP first but that was at the wife's insistence. I plan on getting a FishHawk next year. Electric riggers are nice but don't help you catch more fish, the probe does. Good luck.

I wish my wife would insist I got an autopilot first. :thumb: That's one big ticket item I'm having trouble convincing the wife that I need.:(

For me it would be the auto pilot. I have yet to find anyone that can drive the boat the way I wish they would. Especially when setting lines, for some reason they always seem to make doughnuts. The manual riggers I love and don't mind the workout as it keeps me in shape for reeling in the big fish. I feel that a quality fish finder is one of my best tools as it will show the thermocline and most importantly what depth the fish are holding.

I feel that a quality fish finder is one of my best tools as it will show the thermocline and most importantly what depth the fish are holding.

I agree with this part and learn to use it properly.Go to lance Valentines seminars on fish finders and get his dvd on it and you willlearn a lot. I learned more in the first hour then the thirty years of messing with it and listening to others peoples settings that still are not correct. Alot of people claim to know what they are doing with them but after going through that seminar i found out otherwise. it is amazing what you can see when it is working atpeak performance. and if there is any way mike can talk him into doing the seminar it would be awesome but i think he is a big ticket speaker. I would suggest everyone with a fish finder go through it.

I would also second a probe it really helps to get into the right water for catching fish. Although if you arefishing areas where guys off here are fishing and are willing to give a little info. you can call them and ask top speed and depth of thermalbreaks to get situated. I know a couple guys doing that right now as they are trying to get other needed gear right now to get started. I just got a probe unit on my boat last year afterowning this one for 10 years now.

The best thing about autopilot is that it allows you to focus on the fishing instead of the driving. Once you fish with autopilot you will never want to go without one.

Agreed, we found that often times this summer the direction of troll made all the difference in the world- an AP would keep you on track a little better. Also, with an Auto pilot, more people will want to come along because they aren't pressured into learning to drive the boat which makes it more relaxing in my opinion.

Probe would be #2 on the list followed by a good graph then electric riggers.

I wouldn't leave home without my speed and temp unit. Of all the things you mentioned that would help you the most. These units will help you eliminate water, which means your baits will be in the strike zone for much longer periods. If you have a ton of friends and they can get this info over to you then it might not be as crucial, but being new and having a very limited network tells me you NEED this information. Water is always moving on Lake Ontario. So much that many guys are going to dual probes to watch the higher and lower temperatures. Fish out of temperature can many times be negative fish. So, just by looking at a fish finder and seeing them doesn't mean those are the fish are going to chew down your offerings.

Auto-pilot - you mentioned there is 2 or 3 of you guys. So you have a driver

Electric riggers - Nice, but wont increase your catch rate

Kicker - that boat should have no problem trolling down, and i cant see it being terrible on gas

Every direction you troll can give your lures a different trolling speed. Yes, there are ways to monitor this, and watching your dipseys was mentioned already, but nothing is as good as actual data.

So, just by looking at a fish finder and seeing them doesn't mean those are the fish are going to chew down your offerings.

This is a great point! I saw a lot of marks on the fish finder this year, that were 20-30' above the thermocline. These fish were in 65-68 degree water. Good luck trying to get these fish to bite.

Hmm, tough question. where to spent money. I think it is funny that everyone is saying Autopilot. I too would like one, but I'm curious to do a survey. How many of the poeple saying autopilot have it, and how many that don't already have a SNT and or electric riggers. My order (right or wrong) was electric riggers, fish hawk, and I'm still trying to get autopilot. Not sure if I would do it any differently knowing what I know now.

I wouldn't leave home without my speed and temp unit. Of all the things you mentioned that would help you the most. These units will help you eliminate water, which means your baits will be in the strike zone for much longer periods. If you have a ton of friends and they can get this info over to you then it might not be as crucial, but being new and having a very limited network tells me you NEED this information. Water is always moving on Lake Ontario. So much that many guys are going to dual probes to watch the higher and lower temperatures. Fish out of temperature can many times be negative fish. So, just by looking at a fish finder and seeing them doesn't mean those are the fish are going to chew down your offerings.

Auto-pilot - you mentioned there is 2 or 3 of you guys. So you have a driver

Electric riggers - Nice, but wont increase your catch rate

Kicker - that boat should have no problem trolling down, and i cant see it being terrible on gas

Every direction you troll can give your lures a different trolling speed. Yes, there are ways to monitor this, and watching your dipseys was mentioned already, but nothing is as good as actual data.

My feelings exactly. There are many using two probes now because of opposing currents in the water column.

Well I guess I gotta go with the Speed Temp Probe, Yankee Troller said if u got 2 on the boat take turns driving, I have run both manual and electric riggers, (love the electrics) but if you want to catch more fish find out where they live and especially where the kitchen is ie. (the right temperature to trigger the feeding cycle) get a good probe and use it. I have fished out of South Haven for a long time and am moving to St Joseph next spring, if you get down there give the MC2 a call on 68. or just call my cell 269 929 4221.

Mike (Supertramp) Chamberlin

another consideration is that the SNT unit will be less of a expense then an autopilot, electric downriggers or a kicker motor. If you are on a budget, this could allow you to have extra money in your pocket for other expenses such as tackle, gas, etc.

• 1 month later...

You don't need no stinking AP - you just need another set of hands in the boat to help drive - hint, hint.

I remember a night with just you and me in the boat and we had three kings on all at the same time. We got them all in with no one driving the boat (ya I know how lucky we were).

They say you loose a fishing buddy when he buys a boat. Seems like we just need to coordinate our outings better. Your boat or mine.

To those who don't think a AP is important I guess it depends on what boat you have as well. As for the S N T probe I still have mine just don't use it much anymore and also have electric riggers. But as to AP I want one I have fished on several identical boats with and without auto pilot and fishing with one is fishing everyone has a good time fishing without one is only fishing for some of the guys some of the time. Cause someone has to drive and get yelled at for tangling the gear cause for me and a few others I know there might be 2 people who can actually maintain a proper course if you are lucky. On those days it is flat you can use a bungee cord and be fine sadly I am always stuck at work on those days. Most of my time fishing the last couple of years has been at the wheel or setting the boat up to run down hill so pretty much anyone can drive it. Often I am stuck setting the boat up with the wind and waves so I can set the gear then I have to bring the boat around to a fishing track and keep it there. Prevailing wind and currents will have you quartering into waves all day to stay on the best troll and not that many people can do it without tearing up your gear. Show me a charter captain who does not use a AP and I'll show you a guy who almost never touch's a fishing rod cause he spends nearly all his time driving.