Wire setup

I'm looking to add two wire line setups for next year. What brand wire would you recommed ? I have two set ups now with 30

lb 7 strand brown. Not sure what brand it is. I have been searching the web and I'm looking at either Mason line or AFW.

Thanks Jim

I've been using the bright, 30 lb Malin for years. It is softer wire than Mason and I find it much easier to work with. This past season I finally re-spooled my wire diver reels with new Malin. The old wire was 6 or 7 years old and had no issues, they were just starting to get a tad short from periodic preventive cutback and reties.

Tim

I used Mason for as long as I can remember from my 17 years working on and running charters boats. I tried Blood Run in the middle of this past season and love it. Don't get me wrong, never had any problems with Mason but I really really like the Blood Run. Soft, smooth and very easy to work with, not to mention I have had excellent customer relations with Blood Run.

Always used the Mason 30# 7 strand. 1000' fits perfectly on a Daiwa SG47LC..I like theyre Heartland Roller Rods as well. If you go with a roller rod, get one with Aftco guides or risk it jumping off the roller. Otherwise go with a twilli tip or a rod with metalic guides.

We use American Fishing Wire on our boat. This wire is the thinnest of all wires i have ever looked at, and it comes in a nice camo color. All of the other brands will work just fine too, but we prefer the thinner diameter. My only gripe about the AFW is that it will coil very easily if you are careless. Wire should always be kept taught, or else you enter in the risk of kinks. We put 1500' of AFW 30lb test onto out Daiwa Saltist 30 reels and call it a day.

One thing to remember is if both reels are spooled with the exact amount of line then their counters will be as close to accurate as possible. If you have to strip a 100 or 200' off because you wadded it up dont expect that wire reel out 250' to be at the same depth as the other reel set at 250' out.

I have been using 30#, 9 strand torpedo wire. Easy to tie, but it gets frays in it every once in a while that have to be cut out, but I just use a uni to uni knot to splice it back together.

We've heard many a horror story about this stuff! Its a shame because its a nice wire to work with. however, i dont need those headaches.:lol:

We've heard many a horror story about this stuff! Its a shame because its a nice wire to work with. however, i dont need those headaches.:lol:

I have heard that they were working on changing the 19 strand to make it more resistant to fraying. Does anyone know anything about this?

I have heard that they were working on changing the 19 strand to make it more resistant to fraying. Does anyone know anything about this?

I was sent two spools of the "new stuff" after having nightmares with the old stuff on two shimano tekota reels which is what they recommend. It is better but i am not sure i will buy it again. it doesn't fray as easily but it still frays and has to be cut back. I guess not reall frays but strands pop out they are still solid but pulled away from the main line. The old stuff was plain junk it had kinks just from them spooling it on the filler spools from the factory. Will i spend the extra to buy it again. Probably not.

I have some older reels spooled with Monel wire...am I living in the dark ages? The wire seems alright, and I know it must be kept tight to avoid blacklash, but any other reasons why I should switch or can I keep fishing the Monel with confidense?

If it is strong and working than go with it.

I had some wire get old and brittle. When you loose a few diver/snubber/flasher/fly sets it gets costly