blow back questions

sjk984

I have a question about DR blow back.

I have an old old set of cannon digi trol II I thought I was up grading when I bought pancake weights to replace regular Balls. I am also running 12lbs panckaks up from 10 balls. last year I was running stacker releses and this year I'm running sliders

It still seams that I get a lot of blowback.

What is the best weights to use to reduce blow back.

Thanks Steve

I don't like pancake weights- too likely to go awry in cross current. I think fish weights help in keeping a straight track, but I run 12lb round with minimal issues.

I concur about the pancake weights, not for me. I run 3 12# round balls.

i went from 10 lb round to 14lb round finned and i have some 15 lb sharks. the sharks do have a little less blow back. i HATE the pancake weight because of the reasons stated above. I had nothing but problems when i decided to try a pair. If you want to go heavier then yeck is making a finned round that you can add a smaller round finned to it. also these made by torpedo diver are supposed to work great but are almost as pricey as sharks: https://www.torpedodivers.com/scart/product_details.asp?ItemNum=G0010

I run a 15lb ball down the chute and 15lb pancakes on the corners. I bent the tails out on the pancakes so they pull out, and I have never had an issue with them getting tangled. My boat is 27' long, 10' wide and weighs close to 10,000lbs fully loaded with gas and gear. It does not get blown around like the aluminum boats do.

To me....it seems like I get a lot of blow back with the 15lb round ball.

I have a question about DR blow back.

I have an old old set of cannon digi trol II I thought I was up grading when I bought pancake weights to replace regular Balls. I am also running 12lbs panckaks up from 10 balls. last year I was running stacker releses and this year I'm running sliders

It still seams that I get a lot of blowback.

What is the best weights to use to reduce blow back.

Thanks Steve

I run 14# round balls.:thumb:

The only way to prevent blowback is to sit still, if you are trolling you will have blowback. Smaller frontal profiles will reduce blowback as such the Pancake weights have the least blowback but are prone to problems in cross currents. Honestly I would bet 90% of the people who have problems are in Aluminum boats as I used to have a lot of issues in mine as well. Blowback is not a huge issue having a light boat that changes course in wind and waves is the issue. I know lots of guys say they can tell where their balls are at because they can see them on the fishfinder but the truth is the sonar only tells you the distance from the sounder to the object not really it's true depth. If you are sitting still and you let your rigger down 90 ft it will show at 90 ft on the sonar as you put the boat in gear you will see it begin to blow back however the reported depth will remain the same because the distance from the ball to the boat has not changed. Perhaps this is different with the new 3d and side scan sonar units but with standard sonar it is a fact. Also depending on cone angle objects can appear deeper than they actually are. This is why you should run in dual freq mode when fishing so you can compare the marks and see the difference between cone angles since when you get into deeper water you can see the same object at different depths and objects that appear on your wide angle screen and don't on your narrow angle screen are likely above the reported depth.

In the spring I will run 8lb weights as we are targeting shallow fish, as the weather warms up and the Kings and Coho start to show up we switch to 12lb balls. No reason to run heavy weights in the spring as we are only trolling in 30-35 fow.

In the Spring here on Lake O its nothing to fish 100+ down for Kings off the Niagara Bar. I remember fishing 200-225 on Memorial day one years and smoking the big guys right on the bottom. Typically, your right though. 10# weights are fine for fishing shallow. But if you experience blowback and its bothersome to you just put out a heavier weight.

I like my 15 lb pancakes on my riggers. Spreads it out a little (kick each tail out). My boat is only 8.5 wide, so I like to kick the tails out to spread out the riggers a little (very slight bend). I personally have never had a problem with tangles, but I have been on boats that have. NOT pretty.

In the spring I will run 8lb weights as we are targeting shallow fish, as the weather warms up and the Kings and Coho start to show up we switch to 12lb balls. No reason to run heavy weights in the spring as we are only trolling in 30-35 fow.

running the lighter weights from march to the end of april

• 1 month later...

The typical blow back is consistent with your speed, angle, current, and wind. Mostly the current down below and speed on surface will prevail. Depending on the depth of your rigger, you want the least blow-back possible. The more shallow the rigger, the less blow-back, mostly, if you are downwind, and current is stable. Look at your wire on the rigger, is it swayed back or straight with the transom? A Fish Hawk or other similar electronic device will give you the speed at the ball and surface. Look at the down ball speed, if it's too high, say 3-5mph, then you know to slow down, or change course. Heavier rigger balls are best these days, imho. You get more stability, and more hits usually. Try to stay with 12-14# balls when possible. They have worked the best for me. If you can find magnetic balls that True Trak made, buy them, they have a magnetic current in the water that attract fish too, making for more hits and hookups during the outing.

one aspect no one has mentioned and that is most judge blowback and current by the rigger cable angle which is not always true as to what the ball is doing. There are often several layers of currents between you and the ball ach of those affects the angle of the cable or line as it pass's thru. Remember your line does not go to the bait or the ball in a straight line when moving if it did look at the angle of your diver line and simple geometery will tell you it can't get very deep yet it still does. If it were a straight line as fast as I troll some days I would need 90 or more ft out to reach 60 down but yet I still start bouncing in 75 to 80 ft with 90 down every time even though the cables are running back at a 45 or more angle.