Down Rigger Weights

GLF

I run pancake coated now but plan to switch to fish weights this year and give them a try. As long as they track straight I don't think it matters much, but the pancake weight give more surface area at depth and can tangle up in curents. Fish weights "seem" like they might be more hydro-dynamic in that same zone. :confused: :confused:

10# fish shaped weights on the outdowns. I have bent the tail on each side so they pull to the outside a little to keep a cleaner spread.

Dave

That’s a good point Dave, with the fish style weights you are able to bend the tail to make the weight track out further.

12# round balls on the inside riggers.

10# fish shaped weights on the outdowns. I have bent the tail on each side so they pull to the outside a little to keep a cleaner spread.

Dave

I use to run fish weights on my outside riggers. But I didn't like the 10# fish weights so then I went to 12# balls. Do they sell any 12# fish weights. I like the fish weights better than the balls for the outside riggers.

Caznik

I had some of the shark weights but couldn't get rid of em fast enough. I had constant tangles from spin. I use all round balls with fins 12# now and have no problems at all. I occassionally will use ridgebacks when the fish are super agressive.

I have gone from 8# to 10# to 12# and am sticking to 12# round balls with fins on them untill I fish below 280' of wire out on my riggers then I change to 16# round balls with fins on them.

Tom, you are currently one of the only members that I am aware of that fishes this deep. Have you ever tried torpedo weights? Torpedo weights have less drag then a ball weight. Less drag will cause this weight to run deeper than a ball of the same weight. I have never ran them, and am very curious about them.

• 3 weeks later...
I have gone from 8# to 10# to 12# and am sticking to 12# round balls with fins on them untill I fish below 280' of wire out on my riggers then I change to 16# round balls with fins on them.

WOW, and I thought 120' to 150' down was deep rigger fishing. How often and where do you run your riggers down 280' ? I am just curious because I don't even want to atempt that, especialy with my hand cranks :eek: ..

Back to the main subject, my dad tried the fish shaped weights and had nothing but trouble. His were the ones with the small side fins, they did nothing but tangle. I have no knowledge of the torpedo weights, so no input on that one. I currently run 12# weights, they are sort of between a pancake and a fish weight. A guy that use to fish out of the marina we stayed at made his own mold and boy these things run great. I need to make a copy mold of these because the man past away several years ago and no one makes them that I know of. I will try to get a photo in a couple day when I get back out to my boat.

Good luck, Steve

• 2 weeks later...