Brown Trout?

I have never caught a brown trout and would really like to catch my first one next spring (they are the best looking fish in the big pond). Can you guys give me some pointers on how to do this? Lure selection? Depth? Speed? Location?

Fishing out of Racine in April has been great for us! Running mostly shallow diving Reef Runners. Ghost, Naked and Rainbow patterns have worked best for us. Wind Point just north of Racine has been our best area. We usually fish 4 days in the middle of April and the fishing has been fantastic with practically no other boats out there.

Maybe we'll see if we can get in touch with you and Josh in 2011?

Duane

I would love to get together!

The Brown trout fishing around Wind Point really is fantastic! I cant wait for spring! I'm hoping to be fishing by the first weekend in April. Hopefully I will have some good fishing reports for you by the time you are in Racine.

the 41 pounder was caught between Wind Point and the Oak Creek power plant. Along with another 34 pounder and plenty in the 15-20+ range.

Dont see as many big guys caught in the spring but i would be willing to bet there are still hanging out there

Just read local newspaper today. A new world record brown trout was caught in Racine Wisconsin July 16th. It weighed a whopping 41 pounds 8 ounces

That fish topped a 41-7 caught on the MI side of the pond last year(which topped a 36+ a couple before that). Both sides have huge fish, but WI has great numbers. They seem to put a lot more effort into their brown fishery then we do. MI seems to focus the more on kings, which I think sucks.

That fish topped a 41-7 caught on the MI side of the pond last year(which topped a 36+ a couple before that). Both sides have huge fish, but WI has great numbers. They seem to put a lot more effort into their brown fishery then we do. MI seems to focus the more on kings, which I think sucks.

Michigan needs to focus on rebuilding fish stock in areas that have been hit the hardest like L Huron. The DNR really screwed up when they put salmon weirs up everywhere along L Huron. Their biologists think that salmon do not reproduce naturally. They killed off the natural reproducing stock which are healthier fish and quit planting fish when the VHS hit. Thus the salmon population in L Huron took a serious nosedive. Then the logical explaination for the DNR is to say that all of the salmon swam over to Lake Michigan.

OK Brian I will attempt to give you advice, but know that I have only managed to boat a few in the past few years (one hanging on wall). Browns are typically a cold water fish. Slow and low (bottom) is the ticket. In the spring you may get some bounching the sand bars in close. OLD school way was to run a 2lb drop weigh ball in 15 foot with a long leader. We'd run over a sand bar (3-4 drop) and when your lures made it there, BINGO. fish on.