Secret Weapon Rig?

I saw on here a member put SWR before every spoon he said he was catching fish on. I couldn't figure out what SWR was so I googled it. I found it was short for secret weapon rig. In short you put 2-3 color lead core on a down riiger set-up. I thought to myself what a great way to get your lure away from the ball of the downriiger since the lure would be 5-8 feet below the down rigger and several feet back. I will have to try this next spring! I was just wondering how many of you guys use this rig and do you have much success with it?

Mine didn't do jack squat after May for some reason, but it's what you said- 2 colors of lead after a rigger for a stealthy presentation. I have mine on a Shimano Charter Special with the rest of the reel full of mono. If I were running it out deeper then I may consider switching my backing to braid to be safe, but it hasn't been an issue in 2 years.

I almost always have two of my three riggers with an SWR. One on each corner then the middle rigger straight and the deepest. The SWRs generally have been more productive for me over the past 5-6 years. I am doing most of my fishing between 8am and 5pm though.

Thanks GUYS, just another thing to figure out how to run, Hell I was just getting used to running a downrigger.. Now I have to have SWR's and what really are they again??? I'm still in the dark here, someone PLEASE post a pic of the SWR...

Thanks GUYS, just another thing to figure out how to run, Hell I was just getting used to running a downrigger.. Now I have to have SWR's and what really are they again??? I'm still in the dark here, someone PLEASE post a pic of the SWR...

An SWR is just a short segment of leadcore run off a downrigger. Just let out the leadcore segment and then attach it to your downrigger release at the backing and send it down.

An SWR is just a short segment of leadcore run off a downrigger. Just let out the leadcore segment and then attach it to your downrigger release at the backing and send it down.

Have you ever had break-offs attaching to the leadcore backing? I'm assuming you're talking about the sheath that goes over the leadcore right?

I started running SWR's last year and they have been awesome. Basically it's two colors of leadcore on your down rigger set ups. I would start the day running one SWR and one regular mono and if one was getting the action over the other I would switch over. One thing I have found with salmon fishing is that things are never the same one day it's all dipsy bites the next it could be leadcore on boards. The key to success is finding what works and maximize it.

Not to really overload you but if your not running meat rigs I would start. I run the brads cut plugs packed with garlic roasted tuna and those things murdered the fish.

You don't attach to the leadcore. This rig only has 1-3 colors on it to begin with. So you let out all the leadcore then attach your release to your mono or whatever backing you have on the reel.

Looks like I need yet another setup. This sounds like a great idea.:thumb:

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My son took the boat out a couple of days ago and ran the SWR for the first time and was shocked at how well it did. He had 9 poles going and the SWR had the first two releases of the night. So he ran a 1 ounce dive bomb off the other rigger as a quick way to make a second SWR and had a hit on that one as well. That was an easy set up as it was just a dive bomb attached to the mono. These two poles outfished the 7 other poles he was running.

I thought the dive bomb idea was a good one and wanted to share it. It's quick and easy and you can apply it to your existing rigger poles without having to connect copper or leadcore.